*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052347-Talent
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #2299358
Where Muses Play - Dreams Hover - Reality Rules (sometimes)
#1052347 added July 8, 2023 at 7:41pm
Restrictions: None
Talent
Prompt # 13 What is your greatest talent? How did you become good at it?

         This a very interesting question. I had never thought to stop for a moment to analyze it before I came across these prompts. I guess, I had taken it for granted all these years.

         I could say that writing is my greatest talent, but I am still learning and I feel that I have a long way to go. I do though, feel I do have a knack for it and I do love it so. With that said, I would have to say that my greatest talent is sewing.

         Back in the day, *Laugh* I was making all my own clothes by the time I was 13 years old. Not only was it cheaper, but I enjoyed it. When I entered the 7th grade, it was expected and mandatory for all the girls to have Home Ec. This was to be a way of life throughout Junior High (7th & 8th grades) and High School. All boys were expected to take shop.

          I stopped to think about the "why" department of the question. I suppose one could chalk it up to the social expectations of the times. During that time, it was the norm for girls to marry right after high school and have 4.8 children, which I and all my friends did. Therefore, we females needed to be able to keep house, take care of children and a husband as well as sew and cook. Females were not openly encouraged to go for jobs predominately held by males.

I continued sewing my whole life. I made all my children's clothing, both school and play outfits (3 girls and 1 boy), and all my own clothing and things to decorate the house. The only thing I didn't make was jeans. I became quite good at crossing patterns to get things similar but quite different. Which I did for my daughter's wedding gown. That project took me 40 hours to complete. It came out beautiful.

         I do not sew as much now. I am blind in one eye and arthritis likes to try to interrupt things on occasion.

That is my greatest talent and I hope to have my writing follow it. To sum up the second part of the question, I became good at it by doing it over and over for years, letting my muse help *BigSmile* and not being afraid to try new things. A lesson to remember.

What is your greatest talent and how did you become good at it? I would love to know.

© Copyright 2023 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052347-Talent