*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052795-Where-Were-Going-We-Dont-Need-Rules
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1052795 added July 19, 2023 at 9:35am
Restrictions: None
Where We're Going, We Don't Need Rules
For the ultra-rare three-in-a-row Cracked hat trick. I promise I have a variety of sources in the queue, but random numbers, like farts, often create streaks.



Well, that's misleading. There are always rules.

A world without these rules is the dream of the angriest teenage punks and Libertarians alike.

Angry teenage punks and Libertarians just don't want to face consequences.

Leaving the well-being of your neighbors and the continued functioning of society up to the natural good in people might sound feasible, if the only people you’ve ever met in your life were two nuns.

Have you met nuns?

5. Slab City

The city has no public oversight, or any of the services that comes with it — running water, electricity or the other niceties that are modern requirements for living.

Sounds like a libertarian paradise, all right.

And yet, if you read the article, sometimes the cops do respond there. Hence, rules, even if unwritten ones.

4. Antarctica

Since there’s no owner or governing body, technically, there are no laws on Antarctica.


Except that there actually are. And that's not even going into the whole "Don't go outside without a parka" thing; that's more of a natural law.

3. The Autobahn

If you’re looking to the Autobahn for pure, unregulated freedom, though, you might be disappointed. In order to keep it from being basically a long stretch of twisted metal, there are plenty of other rules, some of which are policed more closely than elsewhere.


"No speed limit" is hardly the same thing as "no rules."

2. International Waters

Those are how certain pseudo-religious groups with lots of money and wide-eyed recruits get around pesky things like "child labor laws" and "regulations against slavery," but still...

Thanks to the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea, or UNCLOS, jurisdiction in international waters is pretty cut-and-dry. First, there is international maritime law that applies regardless, and second, legal jurisdiction is decided by the country the vessel in question is registered in.

1. Your Imagination

The cops can’t arrest you for what you do in your dreams… yet.


But for just $19.99 a month of a low annual payment of $149.99, you can subscribe to DreamVPN. Keep those annoying Dream Police outside your head!

© Copyright 2023 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052795-Where-Were-Going-We-Dont-Need-Rules