*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052958-Revisited-Best-Waste-of-Time-EVER
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1052958 added July 23, 2023 at 8:26am
Restrictions: None
Revisited: "Best Waste of Time EVER"
As usual for Sundays, I used my handy Random Number Generator to excavate an ancient blog entry. This time, it pointed me to what might actually be my shortest entry ever, though I'm not going through all 2400+ entries to verify that.

The entry in question is from all the way back in October of 2008: "Best Waste of Time EVER

It consists of a naked link (this was, if I recall correctly, before the xlink: feature was implemented), the words "Go ahead. Click." and a smirk emoticon. (This was also before the smirk2 emoticon).

Hesitantly, I clicked on the link. It is, after all, at least 15 years old. If it's not dead, I thought, it's probably redirected. Or possibly encrusted with ads or other extraneous nonsense. Or, even worse, infested with malware. So I made sure my ad and script blockers were on and fully functioning.

This is why I try to always expect the worst: Either I'm wrong, and something other than the worst happens, which is by definition good; or I'm right, which always feels good.

And yet, the link is still active. I'm sure some things have changed there since 2008; for instance, now there's the option to get the corresponding app for your smartphone, and there are probably a few extra links near the bottom of the page... but no intrusive ads (I checked on a different browser, but not on my phone) or, as far as I and my extensive guardian plugins can tell, anything dangerous there.

This is the link,   if you don't care to look at that older blog entry.

So what we get is a nice blast from the past, a reminder of what the internet used to be before most everything went to shit and became commodified, intrusive, and sanitized. And perhaps even a place to exercise artistic talent, if you have any, that is; I do not, but there are plenty of examples at the link of the works of people who do.

Whether it's still the "best waste of time ever" is debatable.

© Copyright 2023 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052958-Revisited-Best-Waste-of-Time-EVER