*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053010-Orion-Hurricane
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Food/Cooking · #2279836
The Bar on the Edge of Forever
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1053010 added July 26, 2023 at 10:25pm
Restrictions: None
Orion Hurricane
Orion Hurricane


1 oz clear rum
1 oz absinthe
Juice of 1/2 lemon
3/4 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz mint simple syrup*
1 Blackberry

Shake with ice. Strain into cocktail glass. Serve straight up with a blackberry garnish.

*Mint symple syrup: Boil 1/2 cup water, remove from heat. Steep 3-4 crushed mint leaves in the hot water for 30 minutes. Remove leaves, add 1/2 cup white granulated sugar, return to boil and mix until sugar is dissolved. Add a generous amount of green food coloring for hue.

[image pending]


Notes:

In July of 2023, Strange New Worlds staged a crossover episode with Lower Decks. As a bonus fanservice, the episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes, who played Riker on TNG. ("Those Old Scientists" is the episode's name.)

The main feature of the episode, for our purposes, was the serving of a drink called the Orion Hurricane (which has nothing in common with the tiki drink called the Hurricane). It's noted, however, that a key ingredient, Orion dulaq, was not easy to find in the Federation. We discover a good reason for that at the end of the episode, but no spoilers here.

The important point is that the drink is a particular shade of green. That's what the food coloring is for; the mint is for flavor and also to justify the green food coloring. Absinthe, of course, is the closest we can legally get to Orion dulaq.

This recipe is still in the development stage, so editing might still happen...
© Copyright 2023 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053010-Orion-Hurricane