*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054313-Click-Click-ALLONS-Y
by Tanith
Rated: E · Book · Writing.Com · #2135844
With coffee and writing implements at hand, I can determine the shape of today.
#1054313 added August 19, 2023 at 10:16am
Restrictions: None
Click Click ALLONS-Y!!!
I have always shied away from fanfiction. It never felt right to play with someone else's characters, in someone else's setting, without the knowledge and permission of that someone. As kids we're taught not to raid some other kid's toy chest, after all.

However, this morning I was browsing a Doctor Who forum and found a thread on writing. I think there may be a whole section on that particular forum devoted to the craft, but writing's been on my brain of late after an extended dormant period. This is because yet another forum I'm a member of has coaxed me into participating in its annual Halloween story, and since I'm doing a readers' advisory display for work in October it seemed natural enough. Click.

I've been dormant for the last couple of years, yes. My life's undergone some pretty radical changes, and writing fell by the wayside. But this morning it suddenly occurred to me...how would it be if I did a DW fanfic for this year's NaNoWriMo? It wouldn't be something intended for publication, but intended to jump-start my writing brain and get me back into the groove? I checked the NaNoWriMo forums and yes, lots of people do fanfics for the annual writing challenge. Click.

I've had an idea for a DW story in the back of my mind for a while, mostly because it's something I haven't seen in the Gen Two era at all, and if it exists in the Gen One era I haven't run across it yet. I imagine it does exist out there somewhere, possibly in the Big Finish archives, almost certainly in the uncountable number of fanfic stories. What better way for a fan to celebrate the show's 60th anniversary, than to create a story about it? Click.

And because it's going to be my story, I'm going to bring my Doctor over here to America, something he never did during his tenure on the show. I think I'll also bring along my favorite of his companions, for exposition and also because someone's got to help me keep him in line. What the hell...I think I'll just land the TARDIS right here in Georgia. Click.

Maybe it's time to stop being such a snob about fanfic. These toys cannot be broken--generations of writers, directors, producers and actors can attest to that--and they are unlike any in the world. I'll play with them for a bit, and hopefully they'll help me find my way back to the world I need to be in.

Click.

© Copyright 2023 Tanith (UN: tanith49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tanith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054313-Click-Click-ALLONS-Y