*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054369-the-other-one
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2302924
Of Parent 1 and Parent 2, adventures in caregiving, and adoptee angst mixed with gratitude
#1054369 added August 20, 2023 at 3:40pm
Restrictions: None
the other one
As soon as it became apparent that I was going to be actually living here at my mom's, I moved my 2 cats, Gracie and Laura, over here to her house.

Luckily my mom has always loved and owned cats, so that part wasn't a problem. The cats are sisters and look a lot alike. I can tell at a glance which is which (Gracie is bigger and has smoother, prettier fur, whereas Laura is scrawny and scrappier - she was likely the runt), but my mother couldn't tell them apart.

Gracie befriended her, though, and spends most of her days sprawled out on my mom's bed or purring next to her. Mom has since started to claim ownership of Gracie.



"Your cat came up here earlier looking for treats," she'll say to me, referring to Laura. My cat? I have to laugh.

Then she took to calling Laura "the other one" - which became the title of this blog. As in: "Gracie ate her breakfast," she'd tell me, "but I'm not sure about the other one."

Then I thought of how I want to spend some time here talking about my parents, and considered giving equal time to each parent by writing one entry about one of them and the next about "the other one" - so the blog title would make sense that way, too.

But I haven't yet decided about that. There's a lot to unpack, and my 'rucksack' is full and very heavy.

The writing saves the writer, they say. May I be saved before I break down again completely and have to go to Four Winds for a 3rd time.

I shall return soon...

© Copyright 2023 winklett in the woods (UN: winklett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
winklett in the woods has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054369-the-other-one