*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054410-Music-in-the-Night---written-for-Screams
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2278909
Just things that I think about now and then.
#1054410 added August 21, 2023 at 1:56pm
Restrictions: None
Music in the Night - written for "Screams"
It was a quiet night. No sounds were heard, not a hoot of an owl or even the scamper of wildlife. Penny was disturbed by the quiet. She had grown accustomed to nature's voice. She bought the charming old house at the edge of the woods some time ago. It was an isolated spot, but she liked not being bothered by people. She didn't dislike them, necessarily, but she often felt irritated by the presence of people. Her home was a haven away from them.

Penny sat on her porch, in her comfortable rocking chair, with a cup of tea in her hands. Looking out into the night, the quiet disturbed her tranquility. It was unnatural not to hear the wildlife she had grown accustomed to. Disgruntled, Penny set her cup on the end table by her chair. It was then that she heard it - the faintest plucking of what may have been a violin. Furrowing her brow, she mused: How is that possible?

The sound startled Penny, and pulling her robe sash tightly, she walked down the steps of her porch to try to hear better. She came to the edge of her property, and looked into the woods. She knew hearing music in the woods at night was a bad sign, but it was such a pretty tune. Penny then recognized the music she was hearing. It brought memories of her childhood to mind - of happier times when her family was together. Without thinking, she followed the music into the woods. Penny was swallowed up, never to be seen again.

WC - 245

Prompt

Written for Screams contest 8/21/2023

signature updated by lili_in_fl

© Copyright 2023 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054410-Music-in-the-Night---written-for-Screams