*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054780-Unexpected-Book-Borrowers
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #2303417
Collection of early entries in the Daily Flash Fiction Contest. Have Fun!!
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1054780 added August 28, 2023 at 9:05pm
Restrictions: None
Unexpected Book Borrowers
         The old Greenville library sat in town for what seemed like an age. Ivy and creeping vines decorated the west wall that faces the town square. Each spring, showing a brilliantly verdant glow of green after the April rains revitalizes this quaint valley's priced jewel. It was a typical Monday as the new librarian Amber Marks parked her car. She tries her best to balance a new stack of books and her coffee as she heads inside.

         Amber is up with the lark and opens the library well before the town stirs for the day. Occasionally, there are a few books in the returns shoot. But today, Amber is met with something very unexpected. Pulling open the drawer to receive the returned books, instead, she picks up a bundle of small sticks wrapped tightly with green cord, or twine. Beside the sticks is a small delicate thing, a book it seems, but not one made from paper or glue, and bound with leather. This one is made of waxy green leaves and bonded together with what could only be explained as spider silk.

         Picking the tiny book up with patient shaky fingers, Amber placed the book in her hand. Looking at it in the light, it was no larger than a silver dollar. It looked brand new or at least as fresh as being picked off the vine this morning. "Goodness me!" said Amber, sitting down on a nearby stool and taking a moment to collect herself. "Now who or should I say, what could have left this?" she thought to herself. At that same moment, the small bell on the front desk rang out with a great, DING!!! A soft but clear voice rang out from in front of the desk. "You had no right to do that."
© Copyright 2023 James Erikson (UN: chopkins1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
James Erikson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054780-Unexpected-Book-Borrowers