*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055116
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #2303831
Legends, letters, recorded conversations, and journal entries of unknown origins.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1055116 added May 17, 2024 at 5:21pm
Restrictions: None
Type: Letter, Author: Unkown
To whoever reads this,


I can't read minds. Even if I could, I clearly wouldn't have any way of reading yours. Despite this drawback, however, I can say with absolute certainty the question you expect me to answer by the end of this.

"Who am I?"

Now, it's not your fault you're so predictable. No creature can choose the level of intellect they are given, much less how perceptive they are capable of being. Therefore, I shall save you the anticipation, and inevitable disappointment, and assure you that your question will not only go unanswered but is entirely irrelevant. Instead, I would like to present you with a much more critical, widely debated, and fought-over question.

"What is the meaning of life?"

Now I admit this question is difficult, and anyone I know who would think to seek the answer to said question in a stranger's letter is quite dead at the moment. But that's not important. No, what's important, and fascinating, to me at least, is how divided humans are by this abstract and overall meaningless question:



A priest will tell you the meaning of life is to earn your spot in paradise.

A philosopher will tell you the meaning of life is to understand.

An artist will tell you the meaning of life is creation.

A traveler will tell you the meaning of life is exploration.



Everyone has their own explanations. Their own reasoning for why they exist.

But in my humble, nameless opinion, they are wrong.


The meaning of life is to be the last one standing as the stars fall around you.

The meaning of life is to be the one to strip the god of his unjust power and spit in his eye.



Not everyone gets to fulfill their reason for living. Some people die knowing that they didn't accomplish what they felt they were born to.

I'm not going to be one of those people.

I don't know who's reading this. I don't even know what's left. Maybe nothing. But regardless, this is my purpose, and if it unravels a few things then I just wasted ten minutes of my time.



Toodles
© Copyright 2024 Auri Johnson (UN: queergoblin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Auri Johnson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055116