*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055283-For-97-TUYC---serving-other-gods-idols
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2278909
Just things that I think about now and then.
#1055283 added September 7, 2023 at 1:08am
Restrictions: None
For 9/7 TUYC - serving other gods (idols?)
Prayer prompt
Pray that the people in your country will fear and serve the Lord.

Blog prompt
In 2 Kings 17, it talks about how the people feared the Lord but served other gods. What do you think this means? How can we make sure that we don’t do this in our own lives?



Second Kings 17 is a LOT to unpack. In my opinion, they may have said that the feared the Lord, but, in truth, they went their own way. The scriptures give several examples of "going their own way":

They worshipped other gods, which was expressly forbidden. (vs 7)
They walked in the ways of the pagans (vs 8)
They set up sacred pillars (memorials) and ascribed things to the Lord that were not so (vs 9)
They burned incense and provoked the Lord to anger (vs 10)

It seems that they "forgot" about following God in practice, and did what they wanted to "in the name of God"

Do we do this? Probably. Are we as blatant as the children of Israel? Again, probably; even if we don't mean to do so.

How? By not following the commandments that Jesus gave us. He said that He came not to do away with the Law and the Prophets, but to fulfil them. When we get too distracted by life (school, work, family, day to day worries, etc.) and do not take the time to worship, to praise, to pray, to read the Word ("I'm too busy, I'll do it later").

We must take care to develop our relationship with the Father; it is He who gives us the strength to live day to day. It is He who gives us grace and mercy when we fall/fail and call out to Him in repentance. To put God on the "back burner" is a type of idolatry (And boy, is this speaking to me *Facepalm* ).

Just my ruminations about the subject. Thank you, Marvelous Friend for bringing up this topic.



signature updated by lili_in_fl

© Copyright 2023 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055283-For-97-TUYC---serving-other-gods-idols