*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055678-Chapter-8
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #2304463
With Beth compromised, Jake & Pamela go to extreme lengths to save their friend
#1055678 added September 13, 2023 at 3:31am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 8
Jake followed behind Pam as they walked down the stairs to what looked to be some sort of market setup within the virtual city. Stalls with varying items and people were set up throughout the area. Some looked like they were selling junk or trash, others appeared to have clothes or salvaged tech, and a few had cooking stations running behind the counter. All the while, different pieces of garbage and rubbish sat piled throughout the city, and the smell of smoke tainted the air alongside the sound of gunshots and horns in the distance. A lone building stood in the corner of the marketplace with a large graffitied sign above the doors. It was two stories tall, and the sign read The Bloodshot Bar. Jake had to give Ingrid credit, her attention to detail in this world was impressive.

They passed by the stalls as different people tried to call them over and peddle their wares. The smell of cooked food was all too real to Jake, and he realized he couldn't remember the last time he'd eaten. Was hunger something he needed to be worried about in this world? Surely, it wouldn't hurt to eat once they got to the bar. He and Pam ignored the callouts to them as they made for the bar in question. Jake noted the sounds of bickering as people seemed to be arguing and haggling over prices and goods. Everything about this place felt all too real, and he wondered just how long Ingrid had spent crafting this game.

They walked through the entryway into a dirty and dusty old bar. There weren't any sounds of good times or merriment within, but rather the sounds of glasses clinking, billiards being shot, and hushed whispers of deals being brokered. Nobody batted an eye as they entered the establishment, but the pair of them paused to look around their surroundings. Booths along the edges near the windows, a bar in the center, a kitchen near the back, and an upstairs that seemed to be guarded by a young man in a heavy leather jacket. There was a jukebox in the corner that was blaring some unknown industrial metal song that Jake didn't recognize. The lighting was dim, but the daylight seeped through the blinds as they stepped closer to the bar.

"Got a plan, Pam?" Jake whispered.

"Making it up as I go along," Pam replied in a hushed tone, "Just try to keep your wits about you, and be ready in case things go sideways on us."

"Got it," Jake nodded, willing to follow his friend's lead whatever the outcome may be.

A large man wearing a pair of sunglasses and a sleeveless jacket with spikes on the shoulders stood behind the bar. His hair was dyed a shade of deep green and spiked up wildly. A cigarette hung out of his mouth as he walked over to nod at Jake and Pam, "What you two want?"

"Whiskey and information," Pam replied as she took a seat at the bar, "Not the cheap shit you're pouring either, I want the good stuff you're hiding under the counter."

The bartender raised an eyebrow at Pam as Jake sat beside her, "You insulting my stock, girlie?"

"Are you insulting me with that idiotic nickname?" Pam countered, "I'm not your average woman, and I know you're serving swill to the general public. I'm not judging you. In fact, I think it's smart on your part."

"Hmph, let's see the cash then, girl," the bartender crossed his arms, "Or are you making demands on empty pockets and good looks alone?"

Pam grinned and chuckled, "You've got me there, and I'm not dumb enough to try to rob a man making a living. So, how about pointing me in the direction of someone who can help line my empty pockets?"

Jake sat quietly and watched carefully as the exchange unfolded. He waited for the bartender to make a move against Pam, but he was surprised when he grinned and grabbed a glass from behind the bar. "You've got balls, lady," the bartender chuckled as he poured a glass for Pam, "Not enough for the good stuff, but enough that I'll spot you a drink. You two are looking for work then, eh?"

Pam smirked and grabbed the glass to take a drink, "Guilty as charged. We're new to the city, and the trip here took everything we had."

"Hell of a place to spend your last dollar getting to, but you ain't the first to risk it all here," he shrugged, "City has a way of drawing people in from all over, even if it ends up being the final resting place for 'em. Guns, corps, criminals, and more freedom than you'll know what to do with, that's the way of the city. Plenty of work to be done as long as you're willing to get your hands dirty."

"Mm, my kind of place," Pam said, taking another sip of her whiskey.

Jake chose to remain silent as Pam continued her conversation. It was amazing to see her fall into such a natural rhythm in such a shady place. At times, Jake forgot about Pam's criminal past, but times like this reminded him that she hadn't always been the hero he knew now. She fit in well with the seedy characters, and he was glad that she did. He'd been worried that Ingrid had programmed the nonplayer characters to be hostile, but it seemed like their AI was more advanced than he'd originally thought. As a result, Jake chose to turn his focus to the other inhabitants of the bar. Pam could keep digging, but his instincts were better suited to scanning for potential threats and leads.

"What's your name, lady?" the bartender asked and nodded at Jake, "Your boyfriend not got a tongue, or is he just trying to look tough?"

"Specter, and my friend goes by Raven," Pam answered, stressing the word friend, "He's not much of a talker, and he's more of a brother than anything romantic."

"Noted," the bartender shrugged, "More of a girl who appreciates softer curves, I can respect that. If you two are looking for work, you're gonna need someone to line up the jobs and keep you from getting fucked. Most clients would sooner shoot ya than pay ya once a job is done. Course, getting someone to take a chance on a couple of mooks with no rep is easier said than done. Probably not gonna get much for a first timer, but luckily Erin is always looking for new talent."

"That's fair as long as she's willing to give us a chance to prove ourselves," Pam said, "I'm not one to be disrespected, though, and I'm no fool in this line of work."

"Hey, I ain't speaking for Erin here, but your biz is your own," the bartender shrugged, "Shit goes south, just try to keep your bullets from hitting my regulars and my crew."

"I think we can manage that," Pam said, finishing her drink before asking, "Where can we find this Erin girl?"

The bartender frowned for a second before sighing, "Upstairs, booth in the back. Tell her Donnie said you were worth talking to. You two watch yourselves, and try not to let the city chew you up and spit you out too soon."

"Appreciate the concern, Donnie, but I think we'll be fine," Pam grinned as she set her glass down, "I'll be back for the good stuff later. Save a glass for me, will you?"

"Can't tell if you're confident or arrogant," Donnie chuckled, but he nodded at her, "Time will tell, I guess. Yo, Anders, let these two through! Good luck, both of you, you're gonna need it."

"We'll see," Pam said as she stood up and looked back at Jake, "Let's go, Raven. Time is money, and we don't have a lot of either right now."

"Right," Jake nodded, getting off of his stool and following after Pam.

They walked through the small crowd pouring in and out of the bar towards the stairs. Anders, the guard they'd spied earlier stepped to the side without a word and let them pass. The stairs went up and turned to the right to lead into the second floor of the bar. There was a haze of smoke that clouded the air, but Jake could tell it wasn't just tobacco. There were notes of herbs and other odd scents that stained the air, and he could see a few different people sitting and smoking at tables and booths. A pool table was off in the center of the room, and he could see what looked like an office in the distance as well. A second bar was also built into the side of the wall, albeit a much smaller one than Donnie's downstairs.

Pam was still taking the lead when Jake stopped at the sound of an altercation unfolding, "I said get away from me!" a female voice barked.

Jake looked over to see what was happening, and frowned as he watched a scene develop by the pool table. A woman wearing tight leathers with long red hair tied back and sporting a perturbed look was pulling away from a group of men. The men surrounding her were different from anyone he'd seen so far in this world. They wore similar leather jackets with spikes or studs, but they had some odd and almost crude looking cybernetics on their heads. Some of them stuck out more than others, but it looked like they were grafted onto their skulls. He caught a glimpse of one of their faces, and he was surprised to see multiple glowing red eyes installed on their metal headgear. They were slowly circling around the girl in question, and that didn't sit right with Jake.

"C'mon, don't be a bitch," one of them said in a garbled voice, "We're just looking for a little fun. Give us a peek, and maybe we'll take it easy on you."

Jake stopped and stared at them for a moment. "Jake, don't get involved," Pam said, noticing his mood shift, "None of this is real, and we have an objective to accomplish, remember?"

Jake clenched his fists as one of the goons reached out to grab the girl's wrist, "Sorry, Pam, real or not, I'm not going to stand here and do nothing."

Jake was moving before Pam could stop him and she groaned to herself, "Goddammit, heroes, always so damn predictable…"

"Hey!" Jake shouted as one of the goons tried to throw the girl down, "Why don't you freaks pick on someone your own size, huh?!"

"Piss off, runt," one of the goons growled, "This doesn't concern you, and you'll stay out of it if you've got half a brain."

"Leave her alone," Jake said, inching closer to the group, "She's clearly not interested in any of you assholes."

"Got a wise guy and hero in our midst, boys," One of the goons chuckled, "Let's show him what happens when he fucks with us!"

One of the chrome headed goons pulled a knife out and lunged at Jake, but he sidestepped and caught his arm before it could connect. Jake threw his knee up and hit him in the stomach. He grabbed the back of his jacket and threw him to the ground behind him. Strangely, not one of the borg looking gang went for their guns. That was fine by Jake; it meant one less thing to have to worry about when dealing with these freaks. One of them stepped up with his fists raised. Jake easily deflected an incoming straight punch, and returned it with one of his own. He was quick to follow it up with an uppercut to the man's jaw that sent him stumbling backward. A quick spinning kick sent him to the ground beside his fallen comrade.

There were three more of standing and snarling at Jake. One of them released his grip on the woman in question and reached in his jacket to pull out a set of brass knuckles. Jake scoffed as he rushed at him. His movements were predictable, and Jake easily dodged his telegraphed punches. He stepped back and leaned out of the way of an incoming straight, sidestepped around a left hook, and stuck his leg out to trip the thug as he tried to catch Jake with a surprise right cross. Jake spun around and grabbed the metal lining the back of his head to drive him down to the ground.

"Hey!" a gruff and unknown voice shouted from behind, "That's enough out of you all! What did I tell you about starting shit in here?!"

The man that had been standing guard downstairs marched over, his coat billowing behind him as he walked. "Piss off, Anders," one of the others barked, although Jake noticed he wasn't moving to engage, "We were just having some fun, and this little shit started a brawl."

"Don't give two fucks who started it, Brick," Anders snapped, his voice low and harsh, "Em doesn't like you fucks messing with her spot, and I don't have the patience to deal with you morons. Back off, let the girl go, and walk away before I lose what's left of my patience. You, let him up and back off."

Jake stared up at Anders for a moment before relenting and releasing his hold on the cybernetic man he'd been holding down. He stood up and raised his hands, not looking for more trouble than he needed. "Alright, I was just trying to help a lady in trouble, I swear," he said, taking a step back.

"Likely fucking story," Anders scoffed, "Brick, get your shithead goons and get out of here."

"You looking to start a war, Anders?" Brick, the one in the back, asked.

"You want to go to war with Em and me?" Anders countered, and Jake noticed the group visibly take a step back, "That's what I fucking thought. Get the fuck out of here, dickhead."

Brick and the others quickly scrambled to their feet and hurried downstairs. "This ain't over, Anders!" Brick shouted, "Hide behind that bitch's skirt all you want, but you're gonna get yours!"

"Not hiding, asshole," Anders glared at Brick, "Call my sister a bitch again, and see what happens."

"My, you're quite the intimidating figure," Pam remarked as she walked up to Jake and Anders, "I hope you don't think my friend here was deliberately causing trouble in your little establishment. He's an idiot, but he's not a troublemaker, I assure you."

"Hey," Jake glared at Pam.

"I told you not to engage, and what did you do?" Pam put her hands on her hips, "We are here for a job, not to pick fights and save damsels in distress."

Anders looked back at Pam and relaxed just slightly, "You two are here to see Erin. Try to keep your hands to yourself, and watch your tone with her. She's got a temper on her, but nobody fucks with my sister."

"Don't worry, we-" Jake started before having to catch himself as the red headed woman practically threw herself at him.

"A hero in the city, I can't believe it!" the girl exclaimed cheerily, "My hero at that."

"Jesse, don't go getting yourself into more trouble," Anders sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"With this guy, I think I'll be okay," Jesse beamed.

"Great, another tag along," Pam sighed before addressing Anders, "Would you mind showing us to your sister?"

"This way, booth in the back," Anders replied, his voice gravely and dark.

"Anders, can I come?" Jesse asked, clinging to Jake's arm.

"Knock yourself out, Jesse, but don't go pissing Em off again," Anders shrugged, already walking towards the back.

Jake sighed as he resigned himself to having another woman attached to him. The way Jesse clung to his arm wasn't out of care, it was possession. That was something he knew all too well. She held on just a little tighter than most, and he hadn't missed the wicked glint in her eye. Maybe if they had time, he could see just how far Ingrid had gone with her programming. For now, he needed to focus on getting in with whoever this Erin girl was. Hopefully, this was part of whatever campaign Ingrid had set forth for him and Pam. He waited for Pam to lead before following after her. As far as he was concerned, she was the lead on this for the time being. She was, admittedly, much better at handling this situation than he was right now.

They walked through a cloud of bluish smoke as they approached the booth Erin sat in. Whether it was a coincidence, or part of the game, Jake noted that they couldn't see her face for a moment. The smell of the smoke was oddly fruity compared to the usual odor that filled the air. "Well, well, well," a sultry voice purred from behind the smoke, "What do we have here? What have you got for me, little bro?"

The smoke started to clear, and Jake caught a glimpse of the woman they'd be working with. Long neon blue hair, bright blue eyes, a portion of her head shaved, and a set of gold earrings dangling from her ears. She wore a leather jacket, a white shirt underneath, and had on a pair of dark jeans. A large pistol sat on the table beside a bottle of bourbon and a glass that was half full. She sat with her legs crossed and a wide smirk on her face as she eyed Jake and Pam up and down. Jake felt more like a piece of meat in the face of a wild animal than a person. He tried to hide how uncomfortable he felt as he shifted from side to side.

"Couple of runners looking for work," Anders answered, "The boy was in the middle of a fight with Brick and his goons, and the lady seems to be the shot caller between the two of them."

"Then I guess you and him have something in common," Erin chuckled, "Why don't you two have a seat. Before that, though, does someone want to explain why Jesse is here?"

"Brick and his buddies were messing with her again," Anders sighed, "Kid decided to step in and save her. Probably would have gotten shot if I hadn't stepped in."

"Brick isn't dumb enough to pull a gun in my bar," Erin said, "All that metal might slow his brain down, but he's not a complete idiot."

"If you say so," Anders remarked, "I'm heading back downstairs. Ring me if you need me, sis."

Jake and Pam took a seat, and Jesse sat herself in Jake's lap. Pam glanced over and rolled her eyes at the scene. It would forever be a mystery to her how he was able to attract women like this. "Ms. Erin," Pam began, placing her hands on the table, "My friend and I are new to these parts, and we're looking to earn some scratch to get by. We were also hoping you could possibly shed some light on a few things for us."

"Respectful and direct, I like that," Erin smiled at Pam, "I like it when people know their place. I might have something for a couple of newcomers, but why should I trust you?"

"That's a fair question," Pam nodded, ignoring the condescending remark and tone of Erin's first comment, "I was under the impression that talent recognizes talent. If it's a reputation you're concerned about then let me ask this. How is one supposed to gain one without a chance? Perhaps we're wasting our time here."

Erin stared at Pam for a moment. She chuckled as she grabbed her glass and took a sip, "You've got balls, little lady, I'll give you that. But, you've also got a point. Alright, I've got something I've been cooking up that I could use a hand with. However, before I bring you into the full fold, I need to know you two can get a job done. So, how's about a little test, or is that asking too much?"

"They can handle it," Jesse answered for Pam, scooting closer to Jake, "This one knows how to handle himself, and I bet this chick knows how to handle biz."

"Not asking you, Jesse," Erin glared at the red head, "And I'd appreciate it if you-"

"Hey, you can't go up there!" Anders' voice came from the stairs, "Dammit, who the hell do you think you are?!"

Jake, Pam, and Erin looked back at the stairs to see what was happening. Jake's jaw nearly dropped when he watched Ashley storm up the stairs at blinding speed. Her long red locks were tied back in braids, a look Jake hadn't seen before but noted how striking it was. She was dressed like the last time he'd seen her alive. A red undershirt with a black corset over it, and a pair of tight fitting leather pants. Long boots that came almost up to her knees, and she looked furious. She scanned the room until her eyes landed on Jake. She glared as she stomped over to him and Jesse. Jake swallowed nervously as a sinking feeling washed over him.

"Goddammit, lady, stop!" Anders shouted as Ashley got close to the table.

Anders reached out to grab her, but Ashley caught his wrist and twisted it painfully. Surprised, Anders cried out in pain and shock. He broke her hold and took a step back to collect himself. Ashley continued her march, and Jesse turned to stare at her. "Don't remember seeing you here," Jesse said.

"Get your hands off of him," Ashley growled, and Jake could tell this wasn't going to end well.

Instead of complying, Jesse scooted closer and threw an arm around Jake's neck. "Step off, chick," Jesse scoffed, "Go find your own man, slut."

"Oh boy," Pam sighed, looking at Erin, "You might want to move your drink."

Erin glanced at Pam and shrugged. She grabbed her glass and leaned back to watch things unfold. "Lady, you've got about-" Anders started.

"Let her be, Anders," Erin cut him off, "She has something to say, and I want to see this play out."

"She's going to leave or get hurt," Jesse glared at Ashley, and that was the final straw for the red headed vampire.

Ashley had Jesse by the throat in the blink of an eye. She lifted Jesse up and extended her other hand back. She plunged her nails into Jesse's chest and twisted it. Erin and Anders watched with wide eyes as Ashley brought Jesse inches from her face, "He's taken, bitch. He. Is. Mine!"

Jesse coughed up blood before her body went limp. Ashley tossed her body to the side and huffed as she sat down beside Jake and out an arm around him. "Well, that was unexpected," Erin smirked as she looked at Jesse's body, "Anders, get her body out of here, will you?"

Anders shook his head and sighed, "Saved you some trouble, didn't it, sis?"

"Jesse was annoying and a pain in my ass," Erin scoffed, looking at Ashley, "To whom do I owe this pleasure? I take it you're with these two runners?"

"Yes, she is," Pam answered, "Care to introduce yourself?"

"Ashley," Ashley replied, "Where he goes, I go, simple as that."

"Ha, a woman who stakes her claim and knows what she wants," Erin chuckled, "That's something I can respect. Alright then, looks like this job is going to be a three-way split. Brains, muscle, and whatever brood-boy here brings to the table. Are you three in, or are you out?"

"What's the job?" Jake asked, speaking up for the first time since sitting down.

"He can speak, how about that?" Erin grinned, "Cheeky little thing, but direct, aren't you? Job's simple, I got a client who needs a datashard. Problem is, shard is slotted in the body of a local edgerunner who bit it showing his dick in a street race. Little fucker was supposed to deliver the shard, but figured he'd try his luck with his new ride before turning it into me. Dumbass ran off the road, but not before slotting the shard in his link. Probably planning on fucking me over, but jokes on him, isn't it? He'd have gotten his. Nobody fucks with Erin Embers and walks away. You three can understand that, right? With me so far, little man?"

"You want us to loot a dead body?" Jake asked, "How are we supposed to get the shard out? Take his damn head?"

"What were you born last night, kid?" Erin asked, eying him confusedly, "You take it out of his neural slot, duh. If that's too much for you, then you three are wasting my time."

"No, it's simple enough," Pam spoke up, shooting Jake a hard look, "Raven is simply being thorough, that's all."

"Hmph, fair enough," Erin shrugged, "Alright, So, the body is stashed in a local morgue in Little China. He's on a slab waiting to be prepped for his funeral. Joint has one of the local gangs acting as security, and it's a pretty well-used little place for Klaws funerals. Get in, get out, and get me that fucking shard. Need the deets on it if I'm gonna pull off what I'm cooking. Don't tamper with it, don't slot it, just get it back in my hands like good boys and girls. Shit might already be corrupted from this dumbass, and I don't need one of you planning to fuck me. Remember, curiosity killed the cat. Pull this off, and you'll know sooner than later what's on the shard once I've got what I need in order. Got any other questions?"

"Break into the funeral parlor, infiltrate the morgue, and leave no trace," Pam surmised, "Simple enough, but what's our cut?"

"Small since it's a basic gig, but I'll deal you each four hundred," Erin answered, "This is the start of a relationship, and I'll have something bigger for you if you can handle this."

"How much are you skimming off the top?" Jake asked, knowing how people like Erin worked.

"Not a wise move to ask a Fixer how much she's taking, but I'll let it slide since you're new in town," Erin answered, "I take twenty percent, minimum, but this job has already been paid for. I got my cut, and you're getting a portion of my profits. Let's get something straight, boy. My job is to keep you from getting fucked. Anyone wants to hassle you, they gotta go through Erin Embers. In return for my fee, I keep you safe, supplied, and ensure you have steady work coming in. On that note, you mentioned having some questions for me. What do you wanna know?"

Jake reached into his pockets to pull out the injectors they'd found on the bodies of the thugs they'd first encountered. He placed them on the table and asked, "Let's start with these."

Erin frowned for a second before chuckling as she looked at them, "Hypos, specifically the kind that'll save your ass from the brink of death. You three really must have lived under a rock if you ain't seen these babies before. They accelerate your bodies healing process, can close up wounds, and keep a person stable given enough time. Won't save you from a bullet to the brain, but it's at least a start in a tight spot."

"How about a map of the city?" Pam asked.

Erin's eyes glowed a bright blue for a second and she nodded, "Done, you should have what you need. I even highlighted the area you'll be heading to. Anything else?"

"You mentioned this place is guarded and run by gangs," Jake said, "Any way you can get us something to make sneaking in easier? Credentials, advice, layout of the building, anything at all would be helpful."

"Smart boy, I might be able to help," Erin nodded, "I can get you three bages that resemble the medteams from that section of the city. Someone looks too close, and they'll be spotted as fakes, but I doubt that these goons will know what to look for. Building blueprints should be easy enough to get ya, but I want to know what Ms. Ashley here is packing under the hood."

"Excuse me?" Ashley asked.

"You heard me," Erin leaned in, "Strength and speed like that don't come natural. What sort of tech are you rocking, honey? It's gotta be good to plug a hole through a bitch, even one as scrawny as Jesse here."

"My secrets are my own," Ashley replied, crossing her arms, "I would think someone in your position would see the value in discretion and keeping your hand close to the vest."

"Haha, I like you," Erin laughed, "Got me there, girl, you got me good. Alright, we'll keep it to a need to know for the time being."

"One last thing," Pam said, "We need a good place to shoot. Raven here has gotten rusty with his firearms, and I'd rather be safe than sorry."

"I don't need the practice," Jake sighed.

"Agree to disagree," Pam countered, "You nearly shot me mere hours ago."

"Brother and sister banter, I love it," Erin chuckled as she watched them, "Sure thing, hon. There's an old abandoned construction site the corps abandoned last year not far from here. Make all the noise you want there, but keep in mind this job is meant to be quiet and easy. Get in and out without making a fuss and bringing the heat down on me, and I might have a bonus for you three."

"Noted," Jake nodded, "Discretion is our specialty, most of the time."

"This better be one of those times, kid," Erin said, setting her glass down. Gimme a few hours to call in the favors for your badges and gear, and I'll send Anders for you when everything is ready. He's going to be tagging along in case you fuck this up. Can't have my newest team getting killed, can I?"

"Understood," Pam nodded, "We'll head to the construction site to start our practice, and we'll be ready when the time comes."

"Excellent, here," Erin smirked, grabbing a bag off of the booth, "Some extra rounds and a decent piece of iron for you two. Try not to blow your damn toe off, kid. Oh, and Ashley, thanks for taking out the trash for me. I'll be sure to return that favor before you three depart. Got a preference? Guns, blades, tech, or maybe just a strong drink and night of passion?"

"A blade will suffice," Ashley replied.

"Hmph, shame, I'm partial to red heads, but maybe another time," Erin shrugged, "I'll find you something nice, sweetheart. Get moving, and be ready when Anders shows up."

"We'll be waiting," Pam nodded as the three of them got up to leave the bar.

Jake waited until they were outside to ask Ashley, "What are you doing here, Ash?"

"Are you not happy to see me, love?" Ashley asked.

"You know I am, but you know what I mean," Jake replied, "I was worried when I couldn't feel you earlier. I'm glad you're here, but how are you here?"

"I'm not even sure where here is, Jake," Ashley sighed, "The last thing I remember was you two agreeing to play that Ingrid girl's game, and then I woke up in an alleyway dressed like this. I spotted the two of you walking, but I ran into some trouble with a group that thought I'd be easy pickings. Needless to say, they were wrong."

"Hmm," Pam hummed as she tried to piece together the puzzle before them, "If I had to guess, Ashley's mind, and yours, are being read by the same computer. It most likely created an avatar for her like ours in response to her presence in your head."

"Interesting, but that still doesn't explain where we are," Ashley pointed out as they headed towards the site Erin had marked for them.

"A world created by a girl with too much time on her hands, and an unhealthy obsession with my girlfriend," Pam answered, "I've seen something similar to this in Beth's games, and whatever happens here will most likely affect us in the real world. The link between body and mind with tech isn't unlike that of a magical link."

"What do you mean?" Jake asked.

"If I'm in a trance, and I'm crossing planes, my mind is still tethered to my body," Pam explained, "If something happens to me, whether I'm projecting or not, and I'm not prepared for it, I could wind up seriously injured or worse. If I were to die while projecting myself, my link would be severed and I'd be dead on the material plane as well. The only way to safeguard against it is to have a way out, but that's something we don't have here. Completing her game could lead to it, but that's assuming she's willing to play by the rules. I doubt that, given she stole Beth from me, so we need to play along and figure out a way to eject ourselves from this insane city."

"Any ideas on how we can go about doing that?" Ashley asked.

"We stick together, work together, and play along until I can figure the rest out," Pam answered, "Surviving is all that we can for the time being, and without my powers, I'll have to get creative. If there is a way, I'll find it."

"Is this the tenacity that you used to rise up with Rebecca?" Jake asked, not having seen this side of Pam before now.

"Ruthless aggression, an unwavering conviction, and an ability to overcome extreme obstacles in the face of uncertainty and disaster," Pam counted on one hand, "The qualities that Rebecca listed when I was promoted to a ranking member of her court, so yes, this is an old side of myself, Jake."

"I'm not knocking you, Pam, I'm just asking," Jake said.

"I know," Pam sighed, "I'm sorry, I'm just really on edge right now."

"It's alright," Jake assured her, "I get it, and I'm not faulting you. I'm with you on this, and I believe in you. We can do this as long as we work together."

"We're with you," Ashley pointed out, "I'm here too, and I won't let anything happen to either of you."

"Kind words from people who were once my enemies," Pam smiled ruefully, "Your support means more than you know."

"We've got your back," Jake said, "You point, we'll shoot."

"On that subject, let's get you some practice in while we have time," Pam smiled, "Let's see if we can't improve your accuracy, and maybe test your hands with some reloading drills."

"Whatever you say, boss," Jake chuckled.

"Don't call me that," Pam rolled her eyes, "Come on, let's get moving while we have a chance."

The three of them headed down a side street toward the site Erin had shown them. With more questions than answers, the trio resigned themselves to playing along for the time being. Pam saw Jake's training as a distraction as well as a necessity, and she was glad that Ashley was here. It would be good to have another player on their team, but she wondered if Ingrid had discovered her yet. For now, they'd play their parts and see how things unfolded in this crazy city Ingrid had built for them.
© Copyright 2023 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055678-Chapter-8