*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056032-TUYC---What-Bible-I-use-and-why
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2278909
Just things that I think about now and then.
#1056032 added September 21, 2023 at 8:42am
Restrictions: None
TUYC - What Bible I use, and why
Prayer prompt
Pray for those involved n foreign missions.

Blog prompt
Describe your opinion on the accuracy and authenticity of the canonized Bible and why.




Well this has made me put on my thinking/researching cap! *BigSmile* I have used several different versions of the Bible, but they have been of Protestant canonization. The versions I currently have are the NIV (New International Version) The NASB (New American Standard Bible), The KJV (King James Version) and the Amplified Bible (or AMP for short).
It was a matter of habit once I started going to church to go with the Protestant Bible, as I started out in the Baptist Church. I really never gave it a lot of thought, and just went along with what I was taught. I have no disregard for the Catholic Bible, but I also have never used one either.

So down the rabbit hole I've gone and this is what I came up with in short order. I believe that this might be a good thing to research further.


During the Counter-Reformation Council of Trent (1545–63), the canon of the entire Bible was set in 1546 as the Vulgate, based on Jerome’s Latin version. For Luther, the criterion of what was canonical was both apostolicity, or what is of an apostolic nature, and “was Christum treibet”—what drives toward, or leads to, Christ. This latter criterion he did not find in, for example, Hebrews, James, Jude, and Revelation; even so, he bowed to tradition, and placed these books last in the New Testament.

Final dogmatic articulations of the canons were made at the Council of Trent of 1546 for Roman Catholicism, the Thirty-Nine Articles of 1563 for the Church of England, the Synod of Dort of 1619 for Calvinism, and the Synod of Jerusalem of 1672 for the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Catholic and Protestant Bibles both include 27 books in the New Testament. Protestant Bibles have only 39 books in the Old Testament, however, while Catholic Bibles have 46. The seven books included in Catholic Bibles are Tobit, Judith, 1 and 2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, and Baruch.

The criteria of true doctrine, usage, and apostolicity all taken together must be satisfied, then, in order that a book be judged canonical. Thus, even though the Shepherd of Hermas, the First Letter of Clement, and the Didachē may have been widely used and contain true doctrines, they were not canonical because they were not apostolic nor connected to the apostolic age, or they were local writings without support in many areas.

Sources:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/biblical-literature/Determination-of-the-canon-...

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=when+was+the+bible+canonized&source...

https://www.google.com/search?q=protestant+vs+catholic+bible&client=opera&hs=2gh...

https://www.britannica.com/topic/biblical-literature/The-process-of-canonization...









signature updated by lili_in_fl

© Copyright 2023 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056032-TUYC---What-Bible-I-use-and-why