*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056063-Lets-Visit-Spook-ane
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1056063 added September 22, 2023 at 8:40am
Restrictions: None
Let's Visit Spook-ane
Well, here's a source I don't think I've quoted before: Architectural Digest.

    9 Creepiest Places You Should Probably Never Visit  
From an abandoned asylum to a church adorned with human skulls, these sites are not for the faint of heart


Dude. I've spent the night at the Clown Motel   in Tonopah, Nevada. You think these, or any, locations can faze me after that? Except for, you know, actual dangerous places like active volcanoes or Baltimore.

Article is from October (hence the theme) of 2019, but I doubt if much has changed.

Though popular attractions, these creepy places have the benefit of being rooted in history with layers of culture, which means they’ve been well preserved over time.

That also means maybe don't use other cultures for cheap thrills without their permission.

Instead, these are places packed with bones, scrawny cats, and the paranormal.

Bones are just part of the life cycle. I hope the kitties are okay. And the paranormal is all in your head.

Now, remember, for full effect, you'll need to click on the link for helpful pictures.

Island of the Dolls, Mexico

Somehow, I doubt that's its official Mexican name.

Isla de las Muñecas, as it's called in Spanish, is south of Mexico City...

Or that city name, for that matter.

...the island is largely deserted, save for hundreds of dolls hanging in the trees...

Gosh, I wonder why. Now, would someone please bet me lots of money that I can't spend the night there?

Mansfield Reformatory, Ohio

Oh gods, no! Not Ohio!

It's no longer in operation—it closed in 1990—but you can go on a guided or self-guided tour...

Alone.

Nagoro, Japan

Small-town Japan is quaint, but this eerie village in the Iya Valley has just 30 residents—and over 400 large dolls.

Again with the dolls. Though I'm pretty sure these are technically mannequins.

La Recoleta Cemetery, Buenos Aires, Argentina

At least they tried to get the language right, this time.

...this Buenos Aires resting place is seriously haunted—even the city's tourism website endorses the Neo-Gothic cemetery’s status.

How much you wanna bet the city had some giggling workers put in speakers and animatronics on the sly?

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, West Virginia

The hospital earned National Historic Landmark status in 1990 but closed down in 1994—and rumored ghosts have haunted the premises ever since.

Oh, fun! Not just ghosts, but batshit hillbilly ghosts!

Sedlec Ossuary, Kutná Hora, Czech Republic

The design dates back to 1870, when a local man was hired to take bones stored in a crypt and turn them into art.

I might have to go Czech this out.

Veijo Rönkkönen, Finland

Named for the artist who created the 550 concrete sculptures within—all human figures in a forested setting—it can appear overwhelming, as if you are being watched or maybe even judged.

Basically, more dolls.

The Hill of Crosses, Lithuania

Based on the picture in the article, this is actually pretty cool.

Akodessewa Fetish Market, Togo

...just keep in mind that "fetish" has at least three meanings, and this is one of the less salacious ones. Still, the appropriate definition here includes the phrase "believed to be inhabited by a spirit," so, you know... good luck.

So, by my quick scan, there's at least one of these on every continent, save for Antarctica and Australia. Way to be inclusive, guys. Antarctica's probably left out because there's just not much there, and Australia because, well, that whole continent/island is creepy.

I'd visit all of them. Wouldn't you?

© Copyright 2023 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056063-Lets-Visit-Spook-ane