*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057129-Halloween-Pranks
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2278909
Just things that I think about now and then.
#1057129 added October 10, 2023 at 2:12pm
Restrictions: None
Halloween Pranks
It's almost midnight, we have to get this right.

"I know, I know, but if you rush me, it won't work. Where is that mirror?"

Sally handed Erin a mirror and kept the second one. At midnight, both girls were going slowly walk down the stairs of their house and look into their mirrors. It was said that they might get a glimpse of their future husbands. Sally was eager to find out who she would marry, but Erin was only doing this to be with Sally. She had no intention of getting married any time soon. To her, it was just one more thing that she would have to deal with soon enough. Their mother was constantly nagging about them being of an age to have their own households.

Sally giggled softly as the clock struck midnight. "Carefully," she cautioned. "Here we go."

Erin sighed to herself. Holding onto the mirror with one hand, and the railing with the other, she carefully made her way down the stairs. I won't see anything, so it won't matterErin thought to herself.

Slowly, they reached the half way point. Erin glanced into her mirror and stopped in her tracks. A glimpse, faint, but a shadow of a man looked back into her eyes. Erin almost dropped the mirror. She couldn't believe her eyes. What sort of joke was this?

Sally and Erin had reached the bottom of the staircase. Sally frowned at Erin.

"I didn't see anything. Did you?"

Erin looked up at Sally. She wasn't going to tell her what she had seen. It was just too much. "No, I didn't see anything either. Old Ethel didn't know what she was talking about, I guess."

Disappointed that the old wives' tale didn't work, Sally shrugged her shoulders. Maybe I'll see someone in my dreams, she said quietly.

Erin followed Sally back up the stairs, and they both got into their beds. Sally fell asleep almost immediately, but Erin tossed and turned quite a while before sleep overtook her. Ewan Montgomery's face filled her thoughts.It has to be a joke, she repeated to herself before closing her eyes.

The next morning, Sally was chattering happily at breakfast. Erin looked at her and sighed. She had a lousy night of sleep and she wished that Ewan's face had appeared to Sally instead of her. It would give Sally something different to natter about, rather than just fluff and nonsense. Erin took a biscuit and slathered some butter and honey on it. She downed it along with a few swallows of milk, before she was off to do chores.

Taking her dish and cup to the sink, Erin rinsed them and set them on the counter. She then grabbed her apron and headed outside to start on her morning chores. Perhaps if she worked hard enough on her chores, she would be able to wipe Ewan's mocking smile from her mind. That was certainly her intention this morning. Sally was more than welcome to him, Erin thought disdainfully.


-505 words.

Based on Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love Trinket Trivia: number 10.


signature updated by lili_in_fl

© Copyright 2023 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057129-Halloween-Pranks