*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057650
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#1057650 added April 30, 2024 at 11:53pm
Restrictions: None
Muscles of Faith
Most biblical scholars agree that Job is the oldest book in the Bible, predating the first five books of the Old Testament written by Moses. They only argue about how old it is, which many think was slightly before the time of Abraham. As such, it's the earliest written record of God's relationship with man.

Just as important, it's the earliest written record of God's relationship with Satan. We see in the book of Job that the Satan is restricted by God with regard to how much he can do. He could only test Job with God's permission. In modern vernacular, there is nothing that happens to us or the world which first doesn't cross God's desk to approve or disapprove.

Does that mean that our tests, sometimes awful challenges, come from God? Far from it. Satan remains the source of everything bad that happens to us. God's approval comes when He believes it's something we can handle and that will transform our faith. Nothing that happens to us occurs without His knowledge, without His evaluation of our ability, and then without His continued support of us.

My father was a farmer and he once told me that the one sure method of making crops resistant to severe drought was if water was withheld from time to time. So why do we sometimes wonder why God allows our faith to be tested? The sole purpose behind our testing is to make us more resistant to increasingly difficult challenges.

Muscles are built in the same way. My son-in-law is a dedicated weight lifter, even well into his forties. When he exercises, he works out one muscle group one day, and then moves on to another muscle group the next day. That’s because when exercised, muscle tissue is first broken down before it's rebuilt stronger. He allows time for his muscles to do that.

Our faith muscles are built in the same way. Our faith is proven on the battlefield of challenge, not on the feather-bed of ease. It’s the very reason why God allowed Job to be tested.


Our testing is not meant to bring us harm, but to build us up. It's meant to hold up a mirror to our character and to then strengthen it. The important thing to remember is this: no matter what Satan throws at us, God is always in control.

It’s a good thing to remember in today’s time of cultural and economic challenges. Severe drought may come, but God’s people will always persevere because of their faith, which has grown resistant and stronger through adversity.


Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
– James 1:12


Keywords: Faith, Growth, Testing


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057650