*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057941-The-Legacy-of-Asaph
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#1057941 added April 20, 2024 at 9:29pm
Restrictions: None
The Legacy of Asaph
Asaph was a man mentioned in the Bible whose name usually doesn't bring immediate recognition. However, he was just as important as King David in one sense, since he wrote a few of the Psalms—at least 11 that we know of. He was a gifted poet and singer, serving as a worship leader during the time of King David (2 Chronicles 29:30).

Moreover King Hezekiah and the leaders commanded the Levites to sing praise to the Lord with the words of David and of Asaph the seer. So they sang praises with gladness, and they bowed their heads and worshiped.
(2 Chronicles 29:30).

A seer was a prophet who sees visions. God spoke to His people through prophets in different ways, and one way was through visions—seen in dreams or even with one’s natural eye.

Most of Asaph's Psalms dealt with God's judgement on Israel's enemies, but one particular Psalm, Psalm 50, ends with a warning about how we honor God. This is one of our most critical obligations as we develop our relationship with God.

Asaph writes this vision from God:

Whoever offers praise glorifies Me;
And to him who orders his conduct aright
I will show the salvation of God.
(Psalm 50:23)

That the people praised God and offered sacrifices at all simply meant they had entered into a covenant with God—a relationship with him. And, as with most relationships, it’s not the physical action that gives meaning, but the emotional meaning behind those actions. Relationships have always been, and will continue to be, a matter of the heart.

One of the things God was going to judge the Old Testament Hebrews on was their burnt-offerings to Him. But to God, the sacrifice itself was, and still is, not the focus. It's the heart behind it. Throughout Psalm 50, Asaph sings of God's self-sufficiency apart from sacrifices. He didn't need the sacrifice, but did require the praise. After all, is He not worthy of it?

The message is clear: praise was more important than the sacrifice. Those who simply laid down their burnt-offering sacrifice, if alienated from Him, were not honoring God. Jesus reiterates this sentiment in His Sermon on the Mount (Matthew chapters 5-7), where He teaches that it's what's in our hearts that mean more to God than outward appearances. An angry heart is as bad as murder and a lustful heart is as bad as adultery.

But how does that apply to us today? Obviously, salvation is now freely offered through the sacrifice of Christ on the cross. His was the final sacrifice and takes the place of those burnt-offering sacrifices of the Old Testament. For our continued growth, however, we still must remain obedient, love others, and do good works.

While important, these works are not what mean the most to God. Certainly they're important, but what good are the sacrifices of our time, talent, and treasure if there is no praise that goes along with them to honor God. The takeaway for our continued growth in Christ is be obedient, do good when necessary, and praise God always. As a worship leader, Asaph would be pleased.


Therefore by Him [Christ] let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
– Hebrews 13:15-16


Keywords: Praise, Psalms, Sacrifices, Works


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057941-The-Legacy-of-Asaph