*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058415-A-Day-in-the-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #2307137
A hamlet in a remote region of its island country experiences the effects of the Rapture.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1058415 added February 24, 2024 at 11:48am
Restrictions: None
A Day in the Life
Bud Best stretched himself, yawning his biggest yawn, while reaching for the alarm to shut it off, and start his day. Four o'clock comes pretty early in the morning, he thought, but at least I did get to sleep the bulk of the night.

Aromatic coffee filled the kitchen as he headed toward his first cup of the day. Good thing we bought, that coffeemaker with an automatic timer a few years ago. Such a gift to have coffee ready when I arrive.

One large hand grabbed two extra-large eggs cracking them both on the edge of the frying pan, dumping the contents into the pan with a loud Sszzzzzzzzz. Five minutes later he was inhaling a pair of fried eggs, sunny-side up, while five strips of bacon were sizzling in the same pan. He poured himself 20-ounce glasses of orange juice as well as fresh milk, that he had milked last evening after work.

4:30. Time to shower and get ready for work, he thought. I wonder what Jerome found to keep himself awake last night?

After a couple of hours of getting ready, spending some time with Cynthia, and giving hugs, kisses, and a little time to three sleepy heads at the breakfast table, Police Chief Bud Best jumped into the car, marked Fairly Same Police, and headed to the station on Main Street, being careful to follow the speed signs, since today as pretty much every day other of his career on the island of Nevermore, there was no reason to go code.

I wonder, if we could change the way we arranged the words on the side of the squad car, he thought. 'Fairly Same Police' makes us sound so boring, even though that is the town's name. The Police of Fairly Same Township, maybe? Sounds better, but I'm sure the town council would never "foot the bill" for the extra letters. Paying by the letter makes the bottom line so important to the "penny-pinchers."

Five minutes and a few blocks later, Bud pulled into his assigned parking space in front of the police station, cut the engine, hopped out, and landed at the front door in half a dozen steps.

"Good morning, Jerome."

"Morning, Chief."

"Good morning, Rich."

"Morning, Chief."

"Anything to report."

"We both stayed awake through the whole shift with no more than three cups of coffee," Jerome said with a smile.

"Pop Freshly threw in two slices of pecan pie, apiece," Rich added. "Amazing cooks those folks."

"I am well aware of Pop's culinary prowess," Bud assured him. "Ma's not too shabby, either. I'll have to sidle up to her bar for my midmorning break. Pecan pie will look pretty good about then."

"Okay. Enough about food," Bud gave a serious frown, that had the two night officers in stitches. "Seriously now. Settle down. Is there anything special on the schedule for today?"

"What's today? Monday, right?" Jerome said. "A new school week starts in less than an hour. You should probably go soon since you like the kids to see you as they arrive."

"Anything else?" Bud asked.

"The high school has its fall play this week," Rich smiled. "Thursday is Opening Night. My daughter has the lead."

"Congratulations, Rich." Bud said. "I'll tell Cynthia. We should be able to take the kids, making a family night of it."

"Thank you, Sir," Rich said. "That would be great."

"They usually have three or four performances in a run," Bud processed out loud.

"That's right," Rich offered.

"Then we'll probably be going on Friday night since Thursday is still a school night," Bud said.

"That's great," Rich smiled. "It's been a long night, Gentlemen. If there's nothing more, then you're free to go. Get some rest. Thanks for all you do."

In a matter of minutes, Bud was alone again. Even though he liked the peace and quiet of the office, he enjoyed the company of other people. Time to start making rounds.

Closing the door behind him, Chief Bud Best started a brisk walk down Main Street. Everything looks like a typical morning in Fairly Same, he thought, Tasty Groceries, By-the-Letter Books, Got You Covered Clothing, and Freshly Diner all have customers. Business as usual.

Bud spent half the morning visiting every one of those stores, engaging in small talk with owners, employees, and customers alike. Around 10:00 his stomach "had a few words" with the chief itself. You're right, he thought, It is about time to pay a visit to Freshly Diner.

Swinging the door open wide, Bud asked, "Ma, what's this I hear about pecan pie?"

"You want one, Sugar?" She asked, "I have one with your name on it."

"I would, indeed," Bud smiled.

"Swing your legs around a bar stool," Ma ordered, "and I'll heat you up a piece with a big ol' dollop of honey butter on the top."

"You spoil me, Ma," Bud chuckled.

"You're my favorite. You know that, right?" She smiled.

11:00 o'clock, Bud thought. Time to go back to the station to look over the books, and listen to the radio. What is going on in the world?

Five minutes after starting to settle into this aspect of the job, Bud's thoughts were interrupted by the opening of the station's front door.

"Can I help you?" Bud asked without looking up.

"Actually, I'm hoping I can help you, Bud." The voice belonged to the town's only preacher, Jim O. T. Book, who just happened to be the pastor of the only church in town, Only Way Baptist Church.

"That's a new one," Bud said. "How are you figuring on doing that?"

"Well, by asking you a question I've asked you at least a hundred times before," Jim said, smiling.

"Something about 'getting saved'?" Bud smirked.

"Something like that," Jim said, still smiling.

"You know I'm an atheist, Jim."

"I know, Bud. God can do something about that."

"What if I don't care?"

"One day you will. I just pray I get to be around when your heart is made right with The Lord."

"You're wasting your breath, Preacher. What need do I have of somebody, who allegedly exists, but who couldn't help me when I was a teenager?"

"Your trip to Ireland, right?"

"Right. Protestants. Bible believers, supposedly. They beat me within an inch of my life because they thought I was a Catholic, not waiting around to find out, that I was a visitor in their country."

"I know, Bud. You've told me, repeatedly."

"Where was God that day? Was he out having a smoke?"

"Hardly. He is Holy. He wouldn't do that."

"Well, then what was he doing, that he couldn't snap his fingers, and make hateful guys stop hurting me?"

"He's Sovereign. He had (and has) everything under control. If He didn't, then you would have died on that day."

"Says you!"

"Says His Word. Colossians 1:17 says in the King James Version, 'And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.'"

"Alright. Now translate that into English, Preacher."

"According to the dictionary, 'consist' means 'made up of.'"

"That really cleared things up," Bud frowned.

"Jesus is The Creator along with His Father and the Holy Spirit," Jim said. "Everything that exists in the physical universe is 'made up of' material from the Mind of God. He spoke and everything came into being, according to Genesis 1 and John 1:1-4."

"You mean He told those boys to beat me up?"

"No. I mean He was in control of their actions, while at the same time, they each remain responsible for everything they did to you."

"God controlled their actions?" Bud turned livid.

"He prevented them from doing anything other than His intentions for turning you into the man you are today."

"That makes God their accomplice!" Bud started to shout.

"Why are you in law enforcement?" Jim asked.

"I was never going to let anybody else be hurt like I was on that day."

"Would you have become a police officer left to yourself without that day?"

"Probably not."

"How many people have you helped through your years in law enforcement?"

"I've lost track," Bud said, "Maybe hundreds."

"Do you think they're glad you're a police officer?"

"No doubt. Get to the point!"

"The Lord didn't stop your pain on that day, but He has helped so many people in their pain on so many days since then."

"He does bad so He can do good? What kind of a God is that?" Bud asked.

"Original Sin brought death into the world. God warned us that this would happen," Jim said. "We humans are responsible for bringing death into Creation. The Lord is using what we broke to restore our fellowship with Him through His Son, Jesus Christ."

"Sounds pretty complicated to me."

"It does to anyone, who is still in sin."

"This doesn't sound like a whole lot of hope to me," Bud said.

"Think of it this way, Bud. If a man went to an oncologist to find out, whether he had cancer or not. Do you think, that finding out would be a possibility?" Jim asked.

"I'd like to think so."

"If the doctor was certain, that the man had cancer. Do you think the doctor would be able to help?"

"He'd better be able to help, or he should stop practicing medicine," Bud said.

"But wouldn't that cause pain to the man in surgery and in recovery?" Jim asked.

"Probably, but a little pain is better than death by cancer."

"So, you do believe, that pain can have a good purpose," Jim asked.

"Oh, I see where you're going with this," Bud said. "Smooth, Preacher, smooth."

"If you had died that day in Ireland, Bud, where would you be, today?"

"I'd be in the ground. I'd be worm food."

"If you were unaware, that you had cancer, today, and died from that cancer," the preacher asked in a serious tone, "then where would you be tonight?"

"Again, I'd be in the ground. I'd be worm food."

"That is a supposition, Officer," Jim said. "What proof do you have, that you would merely be annihilated? What proof do you have, that Heaven and Hell do not exist? What proof do you have, that your moralistic atheist belief system matters anything beyond today?"

"I've got to think about that," Bud said with a sober face.

"Don't think too long," Jim said. "There's a limit to the Grace of God. Anyone, who is not under the provisions of the Grace of God when he or she breathes their last, receives Justice. If God does exist, and I am personally convinced, that He does, are you prepared for Him to mete out Justice, Dear Chief of Police?"

"Not bad, Preacher. You've got a pretty sharp legal mind. Where'd you study?"

"The Bible is the greatest law book ever written," Jim said. "How much of the laws of the land do you have memorized?"

"Not all of it, but I've got the gist of it."

"I dare you to ask me questions about the Bible, that I can't find the answers to."

"Are you serious?"

"I have lived with the Truth of Scripture all of my adult life, and for most of my childhood years," Jim said.

"Pride?"

"Absolutely not. Confidence in Jesus," Jim said. "He's the One, Who makes me able to know the Bible. If you don't believe me, then ask Jeff, Rolly, and Jewel. Your children are already skilled Bible students."

"How do you know?"

"They come to church every Sunday, while you, no doubt, are grateful for the time off from parenting."

"What are you telling my kids?"

"I'm telling them about Jesus, God's Son, Who came to be the Savior of the world. According to John 3:16, KJV, 'whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.'"

"Do they believe this stuff?"

"Not only do they believe, that Jesus is the Truth (John 14:6,) but they have all been saved now for at least three years."

"Saved from what?" Bud asked.

"'Saved from the Wrath to come,' according to that great work of literature, The Pilgrim's Progress."

Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2024 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058415-A-Day-in-the-Life