*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059289-Be-Saved
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #2307137
A hamlet in a remote region of its island country experiences the effects of the Rapture.
#1059289 added December 14, 2023 at 3:20pm
Restrictions: None
Be Saved
Cynthia walked over to Bud, and said, "Let's go for a walk, Sweetheart. I need to tell you something."

"Alright," he said.

They walked silently through the auditorium, out the front door, down the steps, and across the lawn to the new water's edge.

"Bud, did I ever tell you what happened to me when I was just seven years old?" Cynthia waited.

"Did somebody mistreat you?" Bud focused on her face.

"No, Bud. It's not that kind of event," Cynthia reassured him. "When I was seven years old, I walked the aisle of a little Baptist church, during a children's crusade. I became aware, that 'I am a sinner, and that I need Jesus to be my personal Lord and Savior'."

"How is this possible?" Bud asked. "You've always told me you are an atheist."

"I was in love with you," Cynthia confessed, "and I didn't think you would want me if I had any religious leanings. As it turns out, I have lived the life of a practical atheist. I thought I was a Christian, but I have always lived for myself. Jesus has never been my Lord. It was all about me."

"How is it that you are still here if you became a Christian when you were seven?" Bud asked.

"That's just it, Bud," Cynthia said. "I walked the aisle. I prayed a little prayer. I signed a card, but nothing ever changed in my heart, which is where Salvation is installed as a forever transformation. I had heard about the Rapture, but when the children disappeared, I started having this sinking feeling inside, that that's what happened to them.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Bud asked.

"Would you have believed me?" she leaned in.

"No. I doubt seriously, that I would have," Bud hung his head.

"We can't go back, Bud," Cynthia assured him, "but we can ask God to help us to understand, that is providing, that we believe, that He could very well exist, and that He still has the intention to save us."

"What do we do, now?" Bud asked.

"We could start by reading the Bible," she said.

"I've been doing that," Bud said. "I read two chapters in the book of Ruth, and I've asked Mrs. Myrtle to help me to understand it better since her heritage is Jewish."

"We can still talk with Myrtle a little later, but now I think we'll understand the expression, 'Be saved,' if we read the Gospel of John," she said.

"What led you to that starting point?" Bud asked.

"When I was a little girl, my Sunday School teacher helped me to memorize John 3:16," Cynthia smiled. "I think it could help us to begin reading the entire book of John."

"Do you have one of those copies of the Bible?" Bud asked.

"I do. Right here," she said. "Here is the place. John, chapter #1. I'll read it to you if you would like me to."

"Sure. Please, read it," he said.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God," she read, "That's John 1:1 in the King James Version."

"That's a little hard to understand, right now," Bud said. "In this verse 'Word' is capitalized three times, every time it appears. I thought a word is something, that we read, that has meaning on a page. Yet, in the first verse, 'Word' seems to be a person, not just written letters. 1. The Word was 'in the beginning.' 2. The Word was present 'with God.' 3. 'The Word was God' this verse claims."

"Let's put them all together," Cynthia said. "The Word was present at the Creation. The Word was present with God. The Word was present as God."

"How can someone be with God, and God at the same time?" Bud asked. "Does this mean, that there are two Gods?"

"I'm not sure that's what it means, Sweetheart," Cynthia said. "You are Bud Best. I am Cynthia Best. Are we two Bests? Or are we two persons, who are part of the same family, called Best?"

"You mean to tell me, that The Word and God can be two separate Persons, but part of the same family or entity, known as God," Bud asked.

"Possibly," she smiled. "There is only one Best family on this island, but it is quite obvious, that you and I are two very different persons."

"True that, my Dear!" he smiled broadly. "Who do you think 'The Word' is?"

"Here, again, Bud, I have a leg up on you," Cynthia said. "My Sunday School teacher taught me about the Trinity (Three Persons = One God.) Don't ask me to explain that. I don't think any human being fully understands how that is possible. However, I believe 'the Word' is Jesus, the Son of God. I think if we reread the verse with Jesus' Name next to 'the Word' the meaning will be clear. '"In the beginning was Jesus, the Word, and Jesus, the Word was with God, and Jesus, the Word was God."

"Oh. I see what you mean," Bud's mouth hung open wide.

"The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men."

"These are the next three verses, Bud," Cynthia said. "Now, put on your investigator's glasses. What case can be made as to the identity of Jesus in these four verses?"

"'The same' in verse #2 has to refer back to 'the Word' in verse #1," Bud realized. "If Jesus is 'the Word' in verse #1, then he must necessarily be 'the same' in verse #2. 'Him' in verse #3 must refer back to 'the same' in verse #2, and 'the Word' in verse #1. 'Him' appears twice in verse #3, and once more in verse #4. 'Him' = 'life' in verse #4, and 'life' = 'the light of men,'which is also in verse #4. I'd like to reread all of these verses, again, with the insertion of Jesus into the verses."

"Please, go ahead," Cynthia said. "I'm excited about hearing this."

"In the beginning was Jesus, the Word, and Jesus, the Word was with God, and Jesus, the Word was God. The same (Jesus) was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him (Jesus); and without him (Jesus) was not any thing made that was made. In him (Jesus) was life; and the life (Jesus) was the light of men."

"Okay, Mr. Investigator, what does that tell you about who Jesus is?" Cynthia asked.

"Jesus was 'in the beginning,' meaning He was at the Creation. Jesus was together 'with God' at the Creation. Jesus was God at the Creation. Jesus was 'in the beginning with God.' Jesus was The Creator because 'all the things were made by him.' Nothing was created apart from Jesus. Jesus is Life. Jesus is the Source of and the Reason for Life. Jesus, the Life, is the Light, Who is the only Light, Who can give men true sight."

"Verse #5 reads, 'And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.'" Cynthia said. "There seems to be a connection with verse #4."

"Right, Jesus was the light of men, but not for the darkness. Darkness can't comprehend the light." Bud said. "Explain the Trinity for me. These three Persons, do they have names?"

"Of course, they do, Bud," Cynthia said. "They are God, The Father; God, The Son; and God, The Holy Spirit. Here is where we have to take The Bible at face value. The Bible says, that the Trinity is Three Persons, Who are One God. That's why it's called trusting, not understanding. Do you remember when you taught Jeff and Rolly about trust falls?"

"Yeah, but what's that got to do with God?" Bud asked.

"You put each of the boys up on a tall chest of drawers, and said, 'Jump!'" she said. "They were a little tentative at first, weren't they?"

"Yes. They were, but when I said, 'I will catch you,' they each in turn had the courage to jump off into the air without anything they could do about the results of that trust fall." Bud said.

"They jumped, and you caught them one at a time," she smiled.

"That's right," he leaned in. "What's your point?"

"The Trinity tells us, Who they are. Three Persons, but Only One God. The Father is God. The Son is God. The Holy Spirit is God. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is One God," Cynthia said. "It's a trust fall. We are asked to trust, that what They say about Themselves as One God is true, even when we can't understand it."

"Ooooo, that's heavy," Bud said. "The way Jeff and Rolly trusted me is the way I need to trust God. Oh. My. Goodness."

"The next few verses talk mostly about John, the Baptist," Cynthia said, "I'd like to read verses 10 through 13."

"Certainly. Go ahead," Bud said.

"'He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.'" Cynthia read. "Would you like to reread these verses with the insertions you've learned through the eyes of investigation?"

"I would, indeed," Bud said. "'He (Jesus) was in the world, and the world was made by him (Jesus,) and the world knew him (Jesus) not. He (Jesus) came unto his (Jesus') own, and his (Jesus') own received him (Jesus) not. But as many as received him (Jesus,) to them gave he (Jesus) power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his (Jesus') name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.'" Bud read. "Let's make some observations. Jesus was in the world. Jesus was the Creator of the world. The world did not know Jesus. Jesus came to His own, but they did not receive him. (Who were Jesus' own?) Anyone, who received Jesus was made able to become sons of God. The receivers were those, who believed on His Name. The receivers were not born of physical birth. The receivers were not born by human choice or intelligence. The receivers were born of God, according to His Will. Man's will is vain, regarding Salvation. God's Will is the substance of Salvation."

"Very good, Bud," Cynthia said. "What concept is stated in verse #3, and then is restated in verse #10?"

"'All things were made by Him,' and 'the world was made by Him.'" Bud beamed. "Jesus is The Creator."

"So, Bud, do you know what it means to 'be saved'?" Cynthia asked.

"Honestly, my Dear, I'm still not sure, that I do," Bud confessed.

"What do your legal eyes tell you about verse #12," Cynthia asked.

"'But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:'" Bud read. "Honestly, this sounds like an adoption proceeding."

"How so?" she asked.

"I have been called to witness a few adoption proceedings in my lifetime so far," Bud said, "and for every one of the court cases, the child to be adopted has next to nothing to do throughout the entire time, but sit there and wait. The judge asks questions of the adoptive parents. When those questions are answered to his satisfaction, he asks if the adoptive parents have money at their disposal to pay the adoption fee. If that answer is 'yes,' then he asks to see proof of payment. When the judge is satisfied, that all the hoops have been jumped through, and that every legal requirement is in place for the adoption of the child, his final move is to approve the adoption, hit the gravel on the circular wood, and declare, 'This case is closed.' At that point, the waiting child usually runs up and jumps into the waiting arms of the adoptive parents, receiving them with both arms as they receive him with theirs."

"Has God received you, Bud?" Cynthia asked.

"I sure hope He has," Bud said.

"Have you received God?" Cynthia asked.

"I surely want to," Bud strained at his thoughts.

"Take time to think about this case, Bud," Cynthia said. "Who is the Judge in this case?"

Bud started to speak but then stopped.

"You don't need to answer these questions, yet, my Dear," Cynthia said. "Just take time to consider them. Next question, Who is the adoptive Parent (or Parents) in this case? Who is the child to be adopted in this case?"

"I do need to think about these questions," Bud said.

"At the moment, you are willing to concede the existence of God. Is that right?" Cynthia asked.

"Yes. I'd say that's right," Bud said.

"Good. We've got more to read in the Gospel of John," Cynthia smiled, "but we've taken a big step forward, my Dear. There is Hope. Let's just rest in the consideration of Hope for the time being."

"Good enough," said Bud. "I'm willing to live there for now."


Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2023 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059289-Be-Saved