*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059663-Earthquake
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #2307137
A hamlet in a remote region of its island country experiences the effects of the Rapture.
#1059663 added December 30, 2023 at 1:52am
Restrictions: None
Earthquake!
The last person had been counseled, and Bud was about to take his first step into the dining room when he was knocked off his feet by a terrible shaking.

"EARTHQUAKE!" he screamed. "Run outside, if you can. Brace yourself, if you can't."

For about 30 seconds Bud lay unable to move on the floor. When the earthquake subsided, he got to his knees, and then to his feet. He started a determined walk toward the back door of the church building. Most everyone he had counseled stood outside in a daze.

He walked around to touch each person, giving an encouraging word. He saw Cynthia next to a crevasse in the yard between the church and the parsonage. "Are you okay, Cyni," he asked.

"I am. Just a little wobbly," she said. "I don't ever remember going through an earthquake before."

"I don't, either," Bud said. "Maybe that is one of the signs of the devastating Tribulation Period. We've got to study Revelation and Daniel more intensely." Looking at the crevasse, he wondered, "Now, how are we going to be able to help the people, who are sheltering in the parsonage?"

George and Stan were coming out toward Bud. They saw the crevasse, too, but could only speak loudly across the chasm. "Now, what'd we do?" George asked.

"Not sure," Bud responded. "Make a circuit around the parsonage, and I'll do the same around the church. "What is out-of-place? What needs to be fixed?"

George and Stan went right to work, finding piles of shingles around the parsonage.

Bud, Jerome, and Rich made a thorough search of the church property, finding piles of shingles, and a big crack in the back of the auditorium above the back right seating area. The doors, front and back, were sitting wonky on their hinges. "Looks like we'll have to rig up something to keep the doors closed at night, and we'll have to double our guard because the doors are no longer security for our community," Bud said.

Walking to the front of the church, the three found another baby crevasse about five feet deep and ten feet wide, running from the front steps to the water line, it was filling up with water pretty fast.

"Next time we have an earthquake," Jerome said. "We might not have an island left."

"That being the case," Bud said, "Let's get started on making lifeboats from found items on this island. We may only be able to build two, but they need to be sturdy."

"Got it, Chief," Rich said, "I'll begin looking for seaworthy materials."

"While you're at it, holler over to George and Stan," Bud said. "Have them to start looking, too. It looks like the big crevasse is starting to fill with water, too. We should build a small dingy to cross the thirty-foot crevasse until we have to leave the island altogether.

Bud told Jerome, "We better go inside, and see what is not secure for our sleeping community.

"Agreed," Jerome said, "I saw that crack over the right back seating area. I want to look inside for structural damage."

"I'm with you on that," Bud said. He went around the auditorium, slowly, looking high and low for cracks, and signs of wear and tear. Near the front left corner of the auditorium, he found particleboard, hanging loose. Just like the kind, that knocked me out yesterday, he thought. I doubt very seriously, that this building would pass muster if an inspector was here, but I don't have any other suggestions for shelter. We've got to make sure this structure holds. The alternative is camping outside, and with the hybrid creatures, and sea crocodiles around, that option doesn't seem to be a worthy one.

"What's out in the shed, Jerome?" Bud asked.

"Don't know, but I'm about to find out," he said. "If I recall, you might not need to build a dingy, since there is a motorboat about that size. Let's use it for the big crevasse."

"Have Rich and some of the men help you to lug it over to the fissure."

"Will do, Chief," Jerome said, "I'm on it."

It keeps getting worse, Bud thought. How do I encourage my men and the people? I'm finding it difficult to stay encouraged myself. Maybe I should thank The Lord for what we do have. "Lord, thank You for saving me." Bud spoke out loud. Thank you, Lord, that 37 of our townspeople are still alive."

At that moment, Bud heard a piercing scream, near the crevasse. It was Cynthia. She was running for her life. Chasing her was an ill-tempered sea crocodile. He was gaining on her. Bud ran a few steps, pulled out his pistol, and aimed for the croc's eyesocket, the weakest part of his armor, Bud thought. I've got to make the first one count because I may not get a second chance.

Bud's bullet landed true, and in seconds the croc lay on the ground, dead, and Cynthia landed in Bud's arms, knocking him off his feet.

"You've just seen what can happen out on the lawn," Bud said. "Jerome and Rich, round up everybody and get them inside. Holler over to George and Stan. Make sure they do the same thing. It's not safe to be outside. Keep everybody inside. Any excursions outside will have to be approved by me, and accompanied by a police officer.

"Come with me, Cynthia," Bud said. "I don't want you out of my sight. I nearly lost you, today. I don't know what I would do if I had."

Inside the auditorium, Bud stood in front of the first bench, and said, "We came very close to losing some of the members of our community, today. I hope you are seeing the importance of what I spoke about earlier. I wasn't just preaching a sermon. I was giving you tools for the future. If you aren't saved, then seek the Face of The Lord, and ask Him about being one of The Elect. We can't save ourselves, but we can ask Him to save us. There's good reason to believe, that when you get to the point of asking the question, you are one of The Elect."

Myrtle asked, "Bud, I've been around for many years on Planet Earth. Is it possible, that God will save me? I'm an old woman. Is there a transition for even me?"

"The fact, that you care, seems to be the answer, Mrs. Myrtle," Bud said. "The Holy Spirit of God is working on your heart. Tell Him you believe. Ask for help on the part, that is still in doubt or unbelief."

Myrtle bowed her head and went into earnest prayer. A few minutes later, she looked up with tears of joy coming down her cheek.

"Cynthia, you've had quite a scare, today," Bud said. "Please, go around to the women of our community, encouraging them, praying with them, and leading anyone, who is moved by the Lord, be sure that they are part of The Elect."

"Jerome, go out with the foragers and drag the crocodile carcass to the back stoop," Bud said, "Starting to filet the meat for food."

"I don't know if we should," Jerome said. "What if the meat is poisonous?"

"Cook some for an hour over an open flame, then taste a little bit of it," Bud said. "If it's terribly bitter, then throw it out. It's probably poisonous."

"Will do, Chief," Jerome said.

"I'm going to sit on the back row, and watch the auditorium," Bud said. "This has been some day to add onto the other 'days' we've already lived since we lost our children. I can't seem to recover. 'Lord Jesus, please help me to live and to die for Your Glory.'"

Sitting on the back row, waiting long minutes, getting nothing in mind, but blankness, pain, thoughts of hopelessness, and despair, Bud thought, If I am a Christian, now, then why do I still have such dark thoughts? I know I can't fix anything on my own strength, but shouldn't I have peace, resting in You, Lord?

Bud stood slowly, walking to the front door, the portico, and the steps. At that moment a long sunbeam shined through the trees, making the shadow of a cross on the front lawn. You were "tempted in all points like as we are, yet without sin." I can't imagine the day of Your crucifixion had many happy thoughts, though the darkness of what You were facing must have lightened at times by thoughts of why You had to endure the pain of that day. You became Sin to pay for our sin. You had already lived a perfect, righteous life to give righteousness to Your Elect. You lived that day as a human, who felt pain, emotional distress, and separation from Your Father so that we might not have to be separated from You, Your Father, and The Holy Spirit forever.

Bud walked down the right side of the smaller crevasse, always mindful to check for any creature, that could jump out at him from the waters. I don't think You are criticizing me like I criticize myself. You know how I feel. You have felt these feelings. What comes next? Will I be able to deal with it, wisely? How do I get my people safely off this island? What will life be like beyond the only life we've known for so many years?

Bud noticed some movement near the water's edge, outside the crevasse. He turned on his heels and started at a trot for the church steps. A sea crocodile popped out, but seeing the distance between himself and Bud, quickly slipped back into the drink. There's no safe place on this island. Is there any safe place in the world? I wonder how soon it will be before the world Tech people return to find us after investigating the loss of their ship with its loss of life.

Up the steps and back into the church, Bud trudged with his head hanging low. Jerome met him with good news. "Chief, we found stacks of pressure-treated lumber in the shed with 20 boxes of nails, sitting next to it."

"That's great, Jerome," Bud said. "If you are a handyman with carpentry, then please get started building our lifeboats. If you need help then ask around, I'm sure you can get some volunteers."

"Sure thing, Chief," Jerome said. "We'll get started, today."

As soon as Bud turned around to find Cynthia, another barrage of meteors pelted the church and surrounding property. As if a guided missile one meteor the size of a grapefruit landed on the three-inch crack over the right side of the auditorium, going inside to the insulation. Everything flammable caught fire instantly, and the church was in danger of burning to the ground if Bud and the other officers didn't think fast.

Outside the front door was a spigot with a garden hose attached to it. Funny I never saw that before now, Bud thought. Maybe 'cause I didn't need it 'til now. It's gotta work.

Getting the first person he saw to hold the door open, Bud pulled the hose into the auditorium, but it didn't quite reach the spot underneath the flames. So, he improvised by using the trick his dad taught him when he was a teenager. Putting his thumb partway over the opening of the hose, Bud directed a high-pressure spray up into the opening at the base of the fire. It took him between five and ten minutes of fighting the fire, while his thumb and two arms screamed against the weight of what he had to do. Finally, a puff of white smoke went up with a POOF, and the people around him cheered loudly as he continued straining his muscles to insure, that the last vestiges of sparks or anything even slightly hot was now completely saturated.

"Jerome, dig out the meteor, take it outside, and dowse it with this hose," Bud said, "Let's make sure, that it can't start a fire, again."

Bud carried the garden hose with jelly arms, outside, and turned off the spigot, until Jerome needed it, while Jerome ran toward the kitchen to look for a ladder. Two minutes later he was back with an A-frame step ladder, that put him five feet off the ground. He could just barely reach the meteor with the rake he had found in the shed yesterday, but soon the meteor was on the ground, and cool enough for him to take outside.

"Good work, Jerome," Bud said. "Saturate the meteor, until it seems ludicrous to pour more on it. Then, resume your rounds, staying on the alert.

"Got it, Chief!" Jerome said.


Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2023 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059663-Earthquake