*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061303-Working-to-Live
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1061303 added December 22, 2023 at 10:48am
Restrictions: None
Working to Live
Well, it's the start of a new year (by my preferred reckoning); the accursed daystar is happily glaring at me once again, and most of my cold symptoms have lessened. So let's get back to some semi-random articles. This one's from The Conversation, dated last St. Patrick's Day:



By now, you should know that I give the side-eye to anything to do with "happiness." But let's take a look at what the author has to say. Be warned: British spelling.

Work, it’s something most of us do though it isn’t always enjoyable.

Not a great start, Professor. Not merely blindingly obvious, but with questionable punctuation choices. I'll let that go, though, because editing is clearly dead.

Whether it’s long hours, gruelling tasks or just the repetitive nature of a day-to-day routine, work can sometimes be something we have to do rather than something we want to do.

Well, there's at least part of the problem right there. As soon as you take the attitude that you have to do something, it becomes a chore, and most of us don't find happiness (or fulfillment or contentment or whatever you're going for) from chores. Say you're invited to a wild party, for instance. There will be lots of your favorite substances there, loads of people of your preferred psychosexual orientation, delicious food, loose morals, great music, etc. Would you be as happy attending if you felt obligated, that you had to go to it? I probably wouldn't. No, better to say "I really want to go to this party" rather than "I have to go to this party."

That is, of course, an extreme. Most work-related things are the polar opposite of that in terms of fun. "I have to finish these TPS reports by 3:00," for instance. Still, turning that around to "I want to finish these TPS reports by 3:00" tricks yourself into greater agency, which, if not exactly increasing happiness, at least decreases misery.

I rarely wanted to work. What I wanted was to get paid. To do that required work. So I'd be like "I want to do these calculations because I'll keep getting paid."

Anyway. That's me. Back to the article.

I was the lead scientist in a government project that looked at how our wellbeing and emotional resilience can change over a lifetime.

It probably doesn't matter much, but "government" here refers to the UK government.

As part of this project, the team, with help from think-tank the New Economics Foundation, identified several things that can reduce stress and enhance wellbeing and happiness – all of which can be applied to the workplace.

Also a UK think-tank. Unlike most think-tanks in the US, this one seems to be a lefty pinko liberal one. Which means I'm more inclined to believe its findings... as long as they don't start in with the whole "mindfulness" crap, or whatever.

1. Be active

Exercise and other physical activities won’t make your problems or stress disappear, but they will reduce their emotional intensity and give you mental space to sort out problems – as well as keep you physically fit.


To my vast shock and surprise, and no doubt everyone else's too (I allow myself one day a year for optimism, and that day was yesterday), I find myself agreeing with this bit.

Not that I'm a model at following it, being a sofa spud most of the time. But having gone through periods of activity and relative inactivity in my life, I can say, unscientifically and anecdotally, that the active periods have been better for my mental state.

Walking to and from work is a great way to create separation from the working day. If that’s not possible you could get off the bus a stop early, make your lunchtimes active or maybe find an exercise class to do before you start work for the day.

Except they lose me at squeezing in yet another activity before work. Sure, I don't have to deal with that anymore, but as a night owl, it was all I could do to wake up on time. Making that earlier to do a new thing wasn't going to happen.

2. Connect with people

If you examine most of the happiness scales, relationships with others come near the top of these lists.


Ugh. People.

Okay, I'm not going to simply dismiss this one, but I will point out that connection feels different for different people. Introverts can't always use advice meant for the extroverted majority; nor, often, can the neurodiverse.

It’s also worth getting to know your colleagues.

Not... not always.

3. Learn new skills

Keeping “cognitively active” is critical to your psychological and mental wellbeing and can provide you with new opportunities in terms of your career development.


Can't argue with this one, either. I do have some objection to "new opportunities in terms of your career development," because I think learning shoudn't have to be merely about how you can be more productive for your employer... but that's me, again. You do you.

4. Stay present

This is all about “being in the moment” rather than in the past or looking too far forward.


*FacePalm* here we go.

A more mindful approach to life is something you can practice at any time of the day, it’s just about being aware, noticing your surroundings – the sights, sounds, smells. You can do this while you’re walking, in a meeting or making a cup of tea.

I mean, okay, sure, put that way, I can appreciate what they're talking about.

5. Recognise the positives

Staying present also helps you to recognise the positives in your life – allowing you to be a glass half full rather than a glass half empty person.

How about being a "glass that's twice as big as it needs to be" person? No, seriously, though, while it's probably bad to dwell on the downsides of things all the time, I object to the idea of mentally banishing the negative all the time, as well.

Accept there are things at work or in life you can’t change and concentrate on the things you have control over.

But no argument about that part from me.

6. Avoid unhealthy habits

Given what we know about their long-term consequences, using excessive alcohol or coffee consumption or smoking as a coping strategy for work stress is ultimately likely to have a negative impact on your happiness, even if they seem to provide a quick pick-me-up.


Aw. Too bad.

Note that there's no warning about excessive tea consumption.

7. Work smarter, not longer

Prioritise your workload during working hours and you will have more disposable time to do the things you enjoy.


Okay, whatever. My only objection here is the idea of "disposable time." To me, there's no such thing as that, or "free time." There's only time. If you take the attitude, as I did above, that you're only doing what you want to do, anyway, then all the time is yours. If there's something you think you want to do, but never seem to have the time to do it, then maybe you don't really want to do it.

The more you take control of your work life and get the balance you need, the more likely you will be happier at work.

And let's keep in mind that I never got the balance I needed until I retired.

© Copyright 2023 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061303-Working-to-Live