*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061442-Attitudes-toward-Homeless-Shelters
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1061442 added December 26, 2023 at 4:34pm
Restrictions: None
Attitudes toward Homeless Shelters
Prompt: Homeless Shelters
*Bullet*Suppose you volunteered at a homeless shelter. How did you spend Christmas 2023 there?
Alternately:
*Bullet* Write about community attitudes towards homeless shelters and how those attitudes can change for the better?

------

Several years ago, a woman who was quite disturbed came to my area through the backyards and did some damage to the back porches and broke into the sheds and destroyed some property. One of my neighbors found out, through the use of his surveillance camera, that a certain type of a church that sometimes housed the homeless was where that woman came from. Some pressed charges against that church because they didn't have a permit. I wouldn't because I understood her anger against people who seemed to have everything.

It is understandable that such incidents can encourage negative attitudes in neighborhoods toward homeless shelters and the homeless who use them, but not everyone who uses a homeless shelter will engage in destructive behavior in the community. Most of these homeless people are just homeless, going through a difficult time in their lives.

Yet, some of the factors that influence negative attitudes in neighborhoods against the homeless shelters can be a lack of knowledge, stereotypes, and media portrayals. I think those attitudes should change for the better and for more humane ones.

If we only could have meaningful and respectful interactions with homeless people, listen to their stories, and empathize with their situation, our biases would change and this would reduce the prejudice. I also think educating the public about the causes and consequences of homelessness, and coming up with potential solutions and policies could help dispel myths, challenge stereotypes, and increase support for homeless services and programs would help greatly.

Also, volunteering, donating, or advocating for such programs could bring about a sense of social responsibility, solidarity, and compassion, as well as create opportunities for mutual learning and understanding. After all, the homeless are people just like us.




© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061442-Attitudes-toward-Homeless-Shelters