*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061972-Walking-on-Snow
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1061972 added January 6, 2024 at 12:22pm
Restrictions: None
Walking on Snow
Prompt:
"There's just something beautiful about walking in snow that nobody else has walked on. It makes you believe you're special." ` Carol Rifka Brunt
Have you ever been the first footsteps in the snow after a storm? Do you remember if you felt special? Do you remember the fresh smell?


----------

Have I ever been the one with the first footsteps in the snow? Well, of course. Many times over.

Years ago when we lived on Long Island, NY, we had a two-acre backyard, and when the snow covered it and everything else, I had to walk on it, if not for anything but to get the wood for the fireplace from the shed. I have to say, despite the cold, those experiences were once in a million; especially, when the full moon rose over the all-white landscape at night. Eerily beautiful, I should say!

When I walked on that fresh snow, every step I took left a mark, a signature of my presence, with my footprints creating a narrative, a unique path that narrated my trek through the snow. This freshly blazed trail was a fleeting monument to my walking through that path, as it was inevitably erased by time, wind, and more falling snow.

The sensation of fresh snow underfoot was always a textural delight. It could be powdery and light, or densely packed and crunchy, offering a satisfying resistance with each step. The chill of the snow seeping through my boots woke up my senses, reminding me of the winter's cold reality. I know if I had to do that very thing at this time, in my old age, I wouldn't dare do it. Where I live now there's no snow and therefore, less art.

Walking on that fresh snow and breathing its clear, clean scent was like experiencing a living art piece – it was an ephemeral, dynamic, and interactive experience. It was a moment of peace and tranquility when I felt I was part of something bigger, something very beautiful as if it were a silent dialogue between me and the untouched beauty of that winter landscape.


.

© Copyright 2024 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061972-Walking-on-Snow