*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062220
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #2311442
The second book in the Avarice saga
#1062220 added January 11, 2024 at 1:04pm
Restrictions: None
On Borrowed Time
This had long been Warren’s most dark and deep seated fear. It had haunted him in his dreams, even creeping into his most comfortable afternoons. That one day he would be singled out, made to leave because of the very information he had used to preserve his life. Warren knew instinctively he should have died then and there over a year ago along with the other captives. He had bought his time with the devil’s bargain he had made, and now his serenity was coming to a close.

Sven had returned this very morning with the horses he had been commanded to fetch from to oasis for the expeditions transport. Tonight would mark Warrens' final evening here. He was very rightly afraid. Come tomorrow he was to guide Gareth and Dwayne to the location of the defense silo he had spoken of. The place of his employment all those faded long years ago. He honestly was not even sure if he was capable of locating it.

The thin man lay by Lucy’s side savoring all the good he had. It was not much, however Warren Mc Callister had been grateful he could find someone to love and share his life with. At least for a little while. He put his arms about his beloved and held her voluptuous form close. He drank in all she was, he wanted to remember, to have some substance he could cling to whilst they were apart. He did not wish to leave her, and the idea he must tore at his heart.

It would be dangerous out there, he had been avoiding the wastes for years in one way or the other. Warren was well aware of his handicaps, being crippled, poor of sight, and comparatively weak amongst his peers. Memories of the location they sought were dim at best.

He shivered slightly and felt his heart flutter in his chest at the dread thought that perhaps he would not be able to recall the location? It was very likely, as Warren was never one for directional accuracy. He sighed and Lucy turned slightly in her sleep. He so wanted to cry, he could feel the tears rimming his eyes with the emotion he was trying to quell. There would be no sleep for Warren this night.


The next morning Warren felt little better. Though the night terrors had receded some with the coming of day, he found it difficult to maintain any kind of manly composure. The frail man kissed his lover tenderly goodbye promising her he would be back shortly.

Practical and plain, Lucy who had seen all of her children die and be buried without as much as a tear, held him close one last time and took a trembling breath.

“Goodbye my love. I will miss you terribly.”

Warren was too choked up to reply, so he did all he could do. Gifting Lucy with a wan smile then turning to mount his gelding who stood patiently ready to depart. Cursing that he would have happiness and love lost, for want of an illusive past.
© Copyright 2024 Xonereth (UN: xonereth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Xonereth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062220