*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062221
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #2311442
The second book in the Avarice saga
#1062221 added January 11, 2024 at 1:05pm
Restrictions: None
Then there were Three
Kario a man shunned by his own kind, and also that of the mortals he encountered here of upper earth, found solace in his newest friend. Certainly not one in any form he would have imagined.

Yet the energetic and gentle black hound led him to both water and nightly shelter, lay on his frigid extremities like a heated blanket as he slept, and brought him food. The rest Kario was capable of, clumsily skinning the lean rabbits who too were starving for good forage, and conjuring a fire to roast them by. He shared what little he had with his canine savior, and trusted his newfound friend to lead him on his way.

Days passed in this fashion. Kario on crippled feet would hobble as far as he could, oddly it seemed to him his canine companion had some empathy for his condition and always seemed to procure a decent place to rest and a welcome meal before he felt he could continue no more.

She led him east, always east. He did dimly wonder through the haze of cold and pain what it was she was leading him toward? Though mostly Kario was now consumed by his ordeal, and in the evenings he collapsed into the dreamless sleep of the dead.

It had been yet another of those tortured days on uncooperative feet. Kario had to admit even with the company of his furred helper he was beginning to lose hope. Step by painful step, he had even fashioned a sturdy walking stick from one of the unfortunate and twisted scrub trees to aid his passage across uneven sands. He found he leant on it heavily today, and his progress forward no more than a snail's pace.

She had circled and returned to him in that unbridled energetic lope of hers. Her wet muzzle poked at his thigh and rubbed against his free hand. She whimpered and then barked, got down on her front paws low in the sand and barked once more. Kario looked up, but all he could see was the next dune rising before him. He was tiring alarmingly swiftly today. It was not even mid morning and he was well ready to lay down to sleep.

At the hound’s incessant urging he slowly crested the dune. The tired fugitive had to blink twice to be doubly sure he was seeing what lay ahead. A town, a real town!

Galvanized by the habitation before him Kario forgot all caution and proceeded as swiftly as his battered feet could carry him. Using the last of his energy to reach his hard won goal. The black dog hung back by his side, perhaps aware it could be in jeopardy here if it appeared unowned. They entered the village together where Kario finally collapsed near the central well.

Jhary and Aurianne had been relaxing by the comfort of yet another enamored host’s fire. Life of late had been sweet and kind. Though there was much that had gone unsaid between the duo, and the undercurrents in both of their thoughts had been elsewhere these last few days.

Aurianne now she had re-provisioned was anxious to return north and to try one more time to assist her clansman, or at the very worst reassure herself Darius was beyond her help. Though she knew her companion would wish no part in going north, nor the associated risks it held. This troubled her greatly, so she was loath to mention the idea.

Jhary Brannon had been beset with similar thoughts. Though his mission was even more complex. The man of stories had decided it was ungallant of him to not at least try to help a friend who had saved his life many times over. Yes, he told such wonderful stories but maybe, just maybe it was time to live up to the outrageous tales he preached?

He needed to venture south, far south to within fifty miles of the dreaded ground zero, Adelaide. He had a fair idea of where his friend had possibly been sold, a place called the Bridge seemed likely. However how could he even begin to broach this desire he had knowing that Aurianne and Aran were sworn enemies? So Jhary fretted in silence waiting for a weak moment that he might even begin to suggest this to the strong willed woman.

The bard was twisting the lone gold band about on his ring finger when he heard the cries of the villagers. Both he and Aurianne rose from the warm hearth and hurried to determine the source of the unrest. A tight knot of the citizenry were already collected about the prone man who lay by the well. The village elder was stooped over examining the fallen man closely.

Jhary and Aurianne jostled through the milling crowd. Aurianne suddenly catching sight of a familiar friend.“Beauty!” Aurianne exclaimed loudly. The wolflike dog paused a moment, looked about somewhat furtively and darted into her arms. “How did you find me!” She cooed. Hugging the shaggy hound to her breast clearly overjoyed.

Jhary took a step back from the impromptu reunion, it seemed his lovely traveling companion had quite a penchant for animal friends. Aurianne on the other hand was elated to see her wonderful dog again, after all she owed her very life to this faithful hound, who had so bravely assisted in her narrow escape all those months ago.

Jhary did not know if he was elated or worried to see the raven haired Illusionist again. He hardly looked dangerous, and was certainly in poor shape, rag bound feet cracked with frostbite. However the bard was already thinking on the future and he was banking on this stranger being of substantial use to the team.

“We know this man.” Jhary decided at once to speak up. He may as well commit and sow the seeds of his ideas for later, for good or ill.


They had lain him in a cot that was hastily prepared before the fire, but not too closely as injuries from the cold must be dealt with sensitively. The village elder tended his wounds, at once locating the ornate weapon on his person. The bejeweled dagger incited both awe and suspicion from the villagers, however being mostly simple folk Jhary had little issue promptly taking possession of it. He and Aurianne both agreed they would know this strange man and his motives better before empowering him.

In the following days the strange raven haired, coffee skinned man recovered his health and his wits. He introduced himself as Kario, and though very polite and thankful to all about him did not reveal much more. It was very obvious he was looking for his weapon, though the exotic man did not openly speak of its disappearance.

Perhaps Jhary surmised Kario had given it up for lost sometime during his painful march? The bard hoped so anyways, his goal was not to antagonize, but merely be assured of this man’s morals. Until he was doubly satisfied that dagger would stay firmly hidden in the folds of his coat.

So the days passed. Jhary entertained by the communal fire each evening while Aurianne and Beauty sat beside him. Children laughed, women gave him the loving eye. Men sat quietly and smiled. It was a good and peaceful time. Kario seemed to join in somewhat also, though Jhary always acutely aware of the feelings of others, a necessity in his trade, sensed the strange man restless and dissatisfied.

Kario had kept his own private council. There was little to be gained in sharing his personal thoughts with others. Though he had been spared from the maw of the wasteland, he was very unsure of his future. He didn't quite belong among men, and he was not accepted by his mother’s beautiful and omnipotent people either. It was for the young man a difficult cross to bear.

Later after the communal fire had died to coals, and Jhary had stowed his twelve string guitar safely in its case, the trio retreated to the stone and iron abode. The family who lived there and had so selflessly offered the visitors shelter, had retired to the adjoining room to sleep. Pleasant good nights were exchanged, giggling children were bedded down, and silence descended on the small village.

Beauty lay stretched across the door portal, pointed muzzle resting on her paws, occasionally emitting a drawn out sigh which seemed almost comical. It was as though she were taking up a guard post, protecting her humans from the hazardous world beyond.

Kario looked across at the shaggy black creature and smiled wanly. Without her appearance he shuddered to imagine what may have been. Surely his bones would have rested in the sands, forgotten and alone by now.

In spite of this he did feel somewhat chagrined to learn that Beauty had long before been Aurianne's pet, and really was never his. Still a good turn was indeed just that, and he would be ever grateful for the care the animal had shown him in his distress. However he had selfishly wished the bond they had shared would have purely remained his own.

Aurianne had decided that though this interlude was indeed pleasant, she would tomorrow take Isabou and Beauty and head north. She needed to satisfy her honor before she would be capable of living life again. Quietly as to not wake the sleepers in the room beyond she decided to explain this to her companions. It was as good a time as any.

“I must leave tomorrow. It’s been some weeks and I simply cannot dally here any longer, though it had been very pleasant thanks to you.” She gave Jhary one of her warmest and most sincere smiles.

“Yes, I can understand that.”Jhary countered trying to be non committal, though his emotions were twisting inside.

“I can’t ask you to come, Jhary. I know the danger and I would not request it. It is something I must do alone, well almost alone.” She gazed fondly at Beauty.

Kario sat quietly listening, absently twirling a length of his wavy raven hair about his finger which had now healed nicely along with his toes.

“I understand you need to do this.” Jhary's voice wavered. “But...” He shut his mouth and looked at the hard packed dirt floor scuffing his brown oiled boots in frustration. Aurianne did not answer but instead gazed at him levelly, waiting for him to continue.

Jhary finally after some moments found the courage. “I have to go south, I can’t leave him. Like your clansman I owe Aran that honor. I’m no fighting man. I have no idea how I will accomplish this rescue. All I know is I must go.

I know you abhor him and that he values you as some kind prize for readmission to his tribe. I understand you are sworn enemies, I know you cannot accompany me, but...”

Jhary threw his hands into the air in a gesture of frustration. “I don’t even know what I’m trying to ask, or say. I don’t want you to leave Aurianne. I usually have so many fancy words... and yet right now I seem to have nothing...”

The homely stone room for a time was bathed in silence. Aurianne was grateful to the bard for all his help but there was no way she was going to assist in the rescue of the brute who had so relentlessly hunted her. He was not the kind to make a truce with, anyone could see that. She could not possibly agree to accompany Jhary, and she had already taken disgracefully too long to assist her own clansman.

“Please Aurianne, please, at least reconsider?” Jhary's pleading brown eyes were hard to resist. He was indeed a very handsome and winsome man. “We have a very good chance of finding and rescuing Aran. He is my friend, I can reason with him.” Jhary outright lied, he had never won any kind of reasoning war with the obstinate warrior yet. However he was not going to let that little issue get in the way of his telling. “Your clansman you say is being held by his tribe?”

Aurianne nodded curtly, however she sat defensively, arms crossed, he was difficult to resist this man of song and charm. However she would not let his winsome ways underneath her guard. After all she was none too sure that Aran had not killed her mother. Though to be fair she had not spotted a firearm on his person that fateful evening. Still someone in his clan had, and that was all that mattered.

“If we could rescue him, he would surely be grateful, and I am positive he would help us get your Darius back?” This all seemed so thin even to Jhary who was preaching the rhetoric. “It’s been a long time as you have said, what’s a few more days?”

Kario had sat all this time quietly, absorbing the tense debate. Finally he felt he had something to contribute. He spoke then quietly and with precision.

“Perhaps if you return my weapon Sir I could be of some assistance?” His dark eyed stare took Jhary in. The bard paused in his fluster blanching somewhat. The cunning dark man had known he held his weapon all along. He cold feel its aura secreted on the bards personage, the demon steel could never be hidden from its owner, he was finely attuned to its call.

The bard felt somewhat bothered by this. Feeling cornered and very sheepish Jhary felt possessed to surrender the object in question. Slowly reaching into his coat and apologizing profusely as he did so. He did not much enjoy being conflicted on two fronts.

“Very beautiful workmanship.” Jhary said somewhat stupidly, surrendering the blade.

“Thank you, it was my mothers'.” Kario replied, taking up the weapon and nestling it in his graceful coffee colored hands.

Jhary felt fearful as Kario caressed the blade. At once expecting him to materialize into something truly terrible and perhaps dispatch them all. He was lost for words and unusually could find nothing to say.

“We were unsure of you.” Aurianne’s words came to save the bard. “We merely wished to understand if you would be friendly toward us or not, you see we were in the stands and we witnessed your display.”

Kario’s grip tightened on the blade. Aurianne saw the danger and made to intervene verbally with swiftness. The last thing she needed now was more trouble.

“Oh no you misunderstand. We are not your enemies come to fetch you, no. We also escaped that day during your rather impressive diversion. We have you to thank you for it.”

Kario relaxed and the tension abated, he let the weapon he was holding balance across his lap.

“Ah, I see, so we are all fugitives in fortune?” A smile came to his dark visage, his eyes sparkled.

“Yes indeed.” Jhary had finally found his voice.

Kario retrieved the acacia seed tea he had been sipping on intermittently from the rough hewn wooden table and took a sip, half closing his eyes in pleasure as he drank. He again returned the tin cup to its former place and resumed speaking.

“I have no people, and I have no debts, except to a black dog and her owners.” He smiled flashing white teeth as he spoke engaging both Jhary’s and Aurianne's attention. “So that leaves me a free entity. To go and do as I please. Perhaps if we all think about this further there can be a solution to both of your dilemma’s?”

Aurianne was about to interject, but Kario quieted her with an imperious wave of his hand. “Together were are strong, divided we are weak. If I understand correctly this Aran whomever he might be is some kind of sworn antagonist?”

Aurianne nodded but did not attempt to speak again. “Yet he is a friend of yours?”

“Indeed.” Jhary affirmed.

“I see. Yes, a difficult situation. You say he is a warrior?”

“Yes, very skilled. He has saved my hide many times alone in the face of numerous enemies.”

“Hum, I see your reluctance.” Kario looked to Aurianne. “You are at war with this Aran’s tribe?”

“Yes, they destroyed my village, killing all but one man and myself.” Kario could feel the anger in her reply. This fire was far from quelled.

“How long ago would this be?” Kario continued to prod.

“Some months.”

“Yes, I can understand this is a difficult and sensitive situation. As I see it the three of us can do one of two things. We can either choose to go north and attempt to rescue a well guarded man, with no one for an intermediary.

As it has been some months since you have seen this man alive and you knew he was being treated harshly there is quite the possibility we go to only be empty handed. However if we go south to rescue Jhary’s friend he is far more likely to be alive and well. He could mediate with his own clansmen and possibly free your friend.”

Aurianne’s patient silence ceased then. “No, Kario, you do not understand!” She exclaimed loudly quite forgetting the sleeping family in the adjoining room. “That so called friend of this man’s,” she pointed an accusing finger to Jhary's chest. “This Aran, he cannot return to his clan unless he presents me to their bloodthirsty and murderous leader as a prize for readmission!” She was all but shouting now, high color to stain her cheeks, her gray blue eyes sparkled with passion in the dimming firelight.

“Is this true?” Kario questioned Jhary.

“He didn't talk about it much but yes it is, regrettably.” Jhary sighed.

Silence ruled the trio for a time. Vague hissing and crackling sounds emitted from the fireplace as the last of the embers sputtered and cooled.

“All right.” Kario finally ventured. “This is all I ask. I will seek to help you both. All I wish of you is that you try and trust me. I understand you have both not known known me long, and have very little to base that trust on. I would like you Aurianne to accompany us south if you would? I fully understand if you decline. However I believe your skill with a bow would serve us well at a distance and I don't believe you need to get close to this Aran at any time.

When we rescue him we will reason with him and then we will help you Aurianne to rescue your clansman with or without this Aran’s blessing. Likewise if at this time Jhary, you will compromise your friendship with this Aran by involving yourself in Aurianne's rescue mission, I will hold no malice if you leave us two to go north alone.”

Aurianne sighed. “I will have to sleep on this, and I will give you my answer in the morning.” She got up and made to lay down in her bedroll. Beauty left her station by the door and snuggled down by her mistresses' side.

“Thank you.” Was all Jhary said as he patted Kario on the arm as he too rose for bed. It would be a long day tomorrow.


Through the strong gray gloom the tendrils of an unsure dawn finally woke. The trio thanked the withered village elder for his hospitality and prepared to head south.

It had been a restorative few days. On to the Bridge and whatever lay there. They had ration's packed and canteens filled to the brim. Beauty ran about them in circles scenting the frigid air, the horses snorted and stamped their hooves knowing soon they could run.

Kario sighed and hoped his feet would make the trek, he would require all his superior mental fortitude to will his body to behave, as the Bridge was many miles distant. At least he had acquired a new robe, not as fine as his previous one had been, but serviceable and warm.

While he was musing on what the day may hold, Auriannes' voice carried to him. “Isabou is strong.” she said. “You can ride double with me. At least until we can get you your own horse.”

Jhary just shook his head, as he tightened the girth on his own mare, he could hardly believe the exotic man had so eloquently persuaded the fiery woman to accompany them. Goodbyes were said, and early into the gray shaded dawn the three of them rode south.
© Copyright 2024 Xonereth (UN: xonereth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Xonereth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062221