*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062224
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #2311442
The second book in the Avarice saga
#1062224 added January 12, 2024 at 10:05am
Restrictions: None
Friends in Strange Places
Carlos looked up from the welcome warmth of his dirty gray blanket. His head itched, and he scratched absently at his scalp noting his hair had grown significantly since the onset of his illness. He could hear the sounds of the camp about him, comforting and regular. Many different voices and conversations woven in to one living, comforting sound. A baby cried, the soothing voice of its mother to follow, men conversing, the crackle of the fire close by.

He had to admit that he felt strangely better today, and he had coughed far less than he ever did in recent lucid memory. Though the weather was still bitingly cold he was grateful that perhaps the worst was past him after all.

He knew the men were preparing another field trip. Though in this cold it hardly seemed wise. It seemed Gareth and Dwayne were the ones chosen to leave. Carlos had to confess he didn't envy them at all, and yet there had been a time he would have only wished to be chosen. He lay there confused at his thoughts. It's the sickness he decided, perhaps soon he could think clearer, when he got well.

*****


True to his word the ebullient bard had soon amassed a substantial ration of food, flasks of precious water, and even the occasional carafe of wine. He had invested in a fine saddle, and saddle packs. Abundant warm clothing, bed rolls and blankets, food and water for the horses, and even procured a very large saddle for Aurianne's trusty mount Isabou. Along with a simple rapier he preferred for a show of defense.

As the days passed the duo traveled, Jhary singing and weaving stories for all to hear. Those about him welcomed him into the villages he passed and paid for the entertainment with what little they had. In a very short amount of time both he and Aurianne were living very comfortably.

The archer had also fashioned herself another bow, and an ample assortment of raven feathered shafts, complete with a new leather quiver which she strung over her back as she rode. There could be found great comfort in simple things.

*****


Kario had the sense he was being followed. That pervading back of the neck tingling feeling of unease. It would not abate. He had no idea of where he was headed or even where he was. Pangs of fear stabbed relentlessly that perhaps he was being pursued by that fearsome leather clad man, and his retinue of guardsmen. He was cold, tired, and hungry.

Yes, he may have had power of illusions, but they would not shelter, feed, or give him tangible relief. The pain in his feet was intense and he would stop from time to time to re wrap the rags he had torn from his robe about his bleeding and tortured toes. Sense told him he could not do this much longer. Many fears and discomforts gnawed at his sensibilities. His mother had rescued him, only to leave him in this situation. Perhaps it was all she could offer?

Kario paused once more and stood quietly, casting about. He needed badly some direction to follow, a plan of action, not just this haphazard march to nowhere. He listened but there was nothing to greet his ears but the sound of the frigid wind thrashing the twigs and the denuded brush, and the silence of the somber skies above him. Today the world seemed much larger than he had ever previously thought it to be.

Behind him movement. Not the kind to bolster his flagging hopes either. The exhausted fugitive trained his eyes to the northern horizon, the way from which he had journeyed. Yes, definitely movement, he had not imagined it. For a moment he forgot his current discomforts to be replaced by a new one, fear. Straining his eyes toward that horizon he sought to know more of this threat.

It was not the group of human pursuers he had anticipated. He was unsure if he was relieved or equally concerned at what he saw. It was a wild dog, black, sleek and swift. Kario guessed the animal was as down on its luck as he was. It had scented his weakness and was pursuing him with the thought of a decent meal.

He could only see one animal, thankfully not an entire pack. Even now he was having visions of slavering fangs drawing his weakened self down onto the sands. His fingers sought the pommel of his blade for comfort.

Kario resumed his pained walking, hobbling now, constantly looking back, the predator drawing inexorably closer each time he turned. It was disheartening to say the least, and along with his other worries doing much to wear him down.

After some hours Kario could walk no more. It was by his reckoning late afternoon, though with the heavy cloud cover it was hard to say. The hound was close now, not more than fifty feet away. It was still coming fearlessly toward him on feet far less tired and broken than his own.

He nestled himself down in a kidney shaped dune that sported a copse of dead bushes, which at least protected his back from the worst of the wind. I will face it here he thought, as he drew forth his dagger into cold hands.

He was shivering violently now he had sat down to rest, and instinctively he knew he was far too weak to resume this march into the unknown. He tried to tell himself he would dispatch the animal, rest some, and then he would have more energy and will to continue. However in the back of his mind he knew he was conjuring false hope, his illusions may have fooled others but he was having difficulty fooling himself.

So he sat and waited. The dog came on swiftly, it appeared unafraid. As it should be, for he appeared an easy meal and a man who was soon to die. Kario raised his blade. The golden eyed hound stopped in front of him only six feet distant, laid her head on her paws, tail wagging in the age old signal of friendship.

From Kario’s cracked lips burst laughter, which seemed ludicrous for one in his predicament. Perhaps he was delirious and he was not seeing right? He had expected growls and bared teeth. Not a friend in his time of need. Tentatively he stretched out his hand.

The dog wriggled submissively on its belly forward into his outstretched touch. The sensation of soft black fur caressed his fingertips. He laughed again and the canine responded by coming in closer to lick his sand encrusted face. The animal was alive and warm, his situation was dire, however he was no longer alone.

‘I will not fail you Mistress again.’ Selene promised with fervor.
© Copyright 2024 Xonereth (UN: xonereth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Xonereth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062224