*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062662-Making-a-Difference
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1062662 added January 19, 2024 at 1:23pm
Restrictions: None
Making a Difference
Prompt:
“What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” - Jane Goodall
Let this quote inspire your writing today.


---------

I don't know if what I do makes any difference to anyone, but I think it is a good idea to watch what I do, so what I do doesn't hurt someone else.

Making a difference, the way I see it, is a collective effort; although mostly, only one individual gets applauded by it. Take MLK, Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, and the like, for example. These people wouldn't be in our memory and history if they didn't have others to work with them, for them, and follow them. Granted, it took, by such people, a major sense of responsibility and taking meaningful actions to contribute to positive change to leave a lasting legacy, from the start.

Not one baby ever steps into the world with the conscious idea of "Okay, now, I'll make a difference," and then belts out his first scream. But then, babies do make a difference in the life of the household they belong. Hopefully it is joy, sometimes chaos, and mostly it is the mixture of joy and chaos.

Unlike a newborn baby, if any one person wants to make a conscious difference, however, they have to have a passion for something and personal strengths to feed it. The question to ask oneself, if wanting to make a positive difference, could be, "What are the causes or issues that resonate with me on a deep level? What skills or talents do I possess to pull such a load?"

Imagining that we are that person and we have a passion for something and possess some skills and talents, what will be needed next could be setting clear goals as having specific objectives to guide our efforts. Then, of course, comes educating ourselves on the subject, so we can make informed decisions with deepened understanding.

Only after this comes taking any action such as taking the first step, volunteering, donating, and participating in the welfare of the community or the group. Modest though our actions may be, when started this way, they contribute to positive change. And, not only that! It will inspire others, too, and we will find friends, family, and colleagues joining in our cause. The greatest results for anything are obtained from collective efforts.

Also, adapting to differences, being open to feedback, learning from experiences and being willing to adjust the approach would help create a lasting change.

For reference, just read about MLK and how he readied himself to accomplish that huge difference.
https://www.drmartinlutherkingjr.com
By the way, I picked MLK because we celebrated the MLK day, only recently.




.

© Copyright 2024 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062662-Making-a-Difference