*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063421
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2312124
A book to house my Daily Flash Fiction entries.
#1063421 added February 4, 2024 at 3:52am
Restrictions: None
This is a Dangerous Place
Dust devils pirouetted between abandoned buildings as Sarah and Mateo explored the ghost town. An unsettling silence hung heavy, broken only by their boots crunching on dry earth.

Sarah, usually adventurous, shivered. "Something feels off, Mateo."

He squeezed her hand, his eyes scanning the crumbling structures. "Just another ghost town, love. Don't let your imagination run wild."

But her imagination did. They rounded a corner, and her breath hitched. A figure lay sprawled, sun-bleached and still. A Stetson rested beside him, a single bullet hole marring its surface.

"Oh my god, Mateo..." Sarah stumbled back, fear rising.

His face hardened. "Stay here. This isn't safe."

"No!" she grabbed his arm, fear knotting her voice. "We need to call the sheriff!"

"And wait here? In the middle of nowhere, with… this?" He gestured at the body. "This town's been abandoned for years. No one's coming."

His words held a chilling truth. Sarah swallowed, fear morphing into resolve. "Then we leave. But together."

He studied her, worry etched on his face. "This is a dangerous place, Sarah. Are you sure?"

She squared her shoulders. "More dangerous than losing you? Never."

They approached the body, footsteps echoing in the oppressive silence. As they knelt, sunlight glinted off a gold chain beneath the dusty shirt.

Sarah gasped. "Mateo, look…"

He traced the engraving on the locket. A date, two faded names, and a word: "Forever."

The wind whispered through the town, carrying a story of love, loss, and secrets buried beneath the dust.

As they rose, hand in hand, the weight of their discovery settled. This desolate place had unveiled more than just a dead body. It had revealed a truth, and the line between curiosity and danger had blurred. Leaving wouldn't be easy, not when the ghosts of the past held them captive.




WORD COUNT: 300 Words
WRITTEN FOR: "Winner for 2/3 and prompt for 2/4"  
PROMPT: Write a story that includes the line: “This is a dangerous place.”
© Copyright 2024 GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale (UN: gervic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063421