*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063458
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2313407
Soundtrack Of Your Life blog, February 2024
#1063458 added February 5, 2024 at 12:18pm
Restrictions: None
"Papa Was A Rolling Stone" - The Temptations


This style of music has grown on me as I've aged. In my youth I was into the usual mainstream pop stuff (or should that be fluff?) of the 1970's, and it's only as I've got older that my tastes have widened to include music like this. My teenage self really had a limited range, and would probably have dismissed this out of hand.

I heard this song on the radio and vaguely remembered it from all those years ago, but on all such occasions it had been the short version. As is sometimes the case, a long version exists and I encountered this one on trawling around YouTube. Nearly 12 minutes long, it has the most amazing instrumental introduction - 4 minutes long - that builds towards the start of the song. The first time I played it I was working on something on the computer and it was just on in the background, but eventually I had to stop what I was doing, as the intro just kept on developing and I found myself wondering when the singer was ever going to get involved.

I can understand why the shorter version was released - they're looking for chart success and even the short version is a little on the lengthy side at 7 minutes, but when you hear the full version then the short one just doesn't cut it anymore. It's one of those rare works where you have to stop what you're doing and pay attention to it - this one definitely isn't "musical wallpaper".

© Copyright 2024 Dave Ryan (UN: daveryan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dave Ryan has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063458