*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063459
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2313407
Soundtrack Of Your Life blog, February 2024
#1063459 added February 24, 2024 at 5:14pm
Restrictions: None
"Mein Herr" (Cabaret) - Liza Minnelli


This may be a bit of a cheat as it's not just the music, but the combination of music, choreography and film editing. (I know they probably shot it in sections, as there is no way that chair is going to stay put all through the first part of the routine, but...hey...suspension of disbelief and all that...) Apparently the director, Bob Fosse, hadn't been happy with this when they'd first shot it, and it was only when they got the multiple angles incorporated into the final edit and turned some of the focus onto the other dancers that it clicked on the screen.

I did read somewhere that it missed the mark in that the character, Sally Bowles, was meant to be of pretty limited ability, and so the only work she could get was in these back-street dives. Minnelli's knock-em-dead performance would, in reality, have seen the character move out of these dumps and into the big time pronto. Again...suspension of disbelief and all that.

Once you've got past Minnelli's pizzazz, it's great fun to watch the backing dancers. By God these people are in top notch physical condition! Complete control over every movement. I find this one endlessly entertaining, and a pick-me-up if I'm having a bad day.

© Copyright 2024 Dave Ryan (UN: daveryan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dave Ryan has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063459