*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063478
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2313407
Soundtrack Of Your Life blog, February 2024
#1063478 added February 13, 2024 at 5:22pm
Restrictions: None
"Right Down The Line" - Gerry Rafferty


And we're back with our Gerry, and another classic with outstanding lyrics.

Way back in his early days, Gerry was part of a group called The Humblebums, a three man band that were more into folk music than anything else, and whose ranks also included another famous Scot - comedian and sometimes actor Billy Connolly. As the style of the music changed, one of the co-founders (Tam Harvey) left and the group was reduced to just these two. Connolly used to tell jokes and stories between the songs, which apparently started to get longer and longer and intrude on the music. They eventually went their separate ways, each to do their own thing and become extremely successful in doing so. Connolly hit it big in stand-up and Rafferty joined up with Joe Egan to found Stealers Wheel.

As I mentioned earlier, Rafferty was extremely celebrity-averse. I've been looking on YouTube for the clip where he was receiving an award for Baker Street. I'll reproduce the conversation in full for the record.

Host: "Congratulations, Gerry."
GR: "Thanks a lot."
Host: "Fantastic. How do you feel at this particular moment?"
GR: "Absolutely wonderful."
Host: "Terrific. Congratulations."

And with that he was gone, like a phantom into the night. Sort of the anti-Paltrow of award acceptances. I shudder to think how he'd have met the internet age and all the look-at-me BS that entails.

Addendum: The moment in question is just part the 3:30 part in this hour long tribute that was put together on BBC Scotland when he died. So you get two clips for the price of one this time. Don't say I'm not good to you.



© Copyright 2024 Dave Ryan (UN: daveryan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dave Ryan has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063478