*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063479
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2313407
Soundtrack Of Your Life blog, February 2024
#1063479 added February 7, 2024 at 5:18pm
Restrictions: None
"Whatever's Written In Your Heart" - Gerry Rafferty


Well, it's been seven entries and a mixed bag from all over the place, so it's about time a fellow Scot reared his head. And who better than Paisley's finest (that's a city, people, not a textile pattern - sheesh!), the one and only Gerry Rafferty. He was well known, but would probably have been better known if his relationship with the world of fame and celebrity hadn't been akin to that between your pet cat and the Pacific Ocean. So many of his songs, from his Stealers Wheel days right through to his solo career, are about a weariness with the world of fame and fortune and a desire to just get home - Stuck In The Middle, Mattie's Rag, and probably his most famous work, Baker Street.

But damn, the man could write a song. There will be another one along later in this activity - it's already sitting in the book with a private tag at the moment - but here's a classic that's probably not so well known, but has outstanding lyrics.

"I heard us speak but all the words were dead
We talked all night and left it all unsaid"

As with far too many of my countrymen, they have a fondness for the booze that eventually catches up with them. Gerry died of liver failure at the age of 63, way back in 2011 though it only seems like yesterday. I'll talk a bit more about him later, otherwise I'll have nothing to say when the next one appears on this list.

© Copyright 2024 Dave Ryan (UN: daveryan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dave Ryan has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063479