*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064024
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fanfiction · #2313902
Can a trio of shipwrecked newbies help preserve Dinotopia's legendary peace and harmony?
#1064024 added April 10, 2024 at 4:57pm
Restrictions: None
Dismal Climate
    That morning, Eddie sat in on Phil's meteorology class.  "Climate," Phil said, "is weather averaged over many years.  It keeps track of changes in the overall weather picture, whether caused naturally or by artificial means."
  A hand went up -- "What artificial means?"
"Here on Dinotopia we have few of them.  But off-island, wholesale burning of fuels mined from underground is slowly raising the temperature of the whole planet.  Ironically, some say these fuels came from decomposed dinosaurs extinct long ago -- and now their use may be harming both dinosaurs and humans in our own ecosystem.  I haven't been here long enough to know how much this is affecting Dinotopia.  Yet as it turns out, the Habitat Partners started noticing the trend about twenty years ago and began keeping records.  Recently I've become aware of these, so I just began researching them at the Waterfall City Library.  I'd be further along if I could only sight-read this darn footprint. ... You know, it just occurred to me that you young ones having grown up here, are quite fluent footprint readers.  Perhaps two of you could travel to Waterfall City for the research project -- all I need do is to describe what to look for.  I'll check into this possibility at once.  In the meantime, each of you think about whether you'd like to volunteer for the research project.  Perhaps it could serve toward your apprenticeship."

    "As you can see, we have a distinguished guest with us.  Maybe you know Eddie as a guard travelling with the latest convoy to arrive.  But Eddie was also my shipmate on the good freighter Sea Robin when it grounded here about a year ago.  As a sailor, he literally lives and dies with the weather -- thus is familiar with weather lore handed down through generations, from the early days of sail.  Sailors can often predict tomorrow's weather even without the instruments we take for granted today -- just by looking at the sky conditions and the wind direction.  I asked Eddie to share some of his weather proverbs."
Eddie stood up and recited his first: "Red sky at night, sailor's delight.  Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning."
Phil asked, "Why does this work?" and picked one of the hands.
"Well, the sun sets in the West, so if you see the red sun setting, it must mean clear conditions coming this way.  But that's not true in the morning when the sun rises in the East."
"Very good, I couldn't say it better myself.  Got any more, Eddie?"
"A ring around the sun or moon, tells you rain will come by soon."
Stephanie's hand shot up.  "The ice crystals in Cirrus clouds would scatter the moon's light, making the ring.  These clouds often thicken into Stratus clouds and then bring rain the next day."
"Another good answer!"
Eddie offered one more proverb:  "A breeze from the south has rain in its mouth."
Phil called on Bob, who offered:  "A low pressure system to our west brings a southerly breeze -- and then rain as it moves overhead."
"Right again!  So you see Eddie, your weather lore is infused with the wisdom of the ages.  For homework, everyone please observe the sky conditions this evening, and see whether we can say anything about tomorrow's weather."

    At lunch, Bob brought some news which he had thought merely interesting -- yet it affected Phil deeply.  "Remember that lone Brach we saw going the other way from the convoy?  As we had suspected, he was old and sickly and heading through the Rainy Basin to his final resting place in the sacred grounds.  This sauropod had a strange name -- Brick something.  The Outpost One crew found his remains nearby.  Apparently, the carnivores didn't wait this time."
Phil turned pale.  "Arrgh!  That was Bricabrach!  I was so happy when he gave me a ride just two months ago.  So the carnivores ate him alive!  A sauropod doesn't go down in one bite -- so ol' Bric must have suffered long and horribly.  Eddie, I think you're right.  This carnivore business is getting out of hand.  And I'm devastated."
Bob felt badly. "I'm so sorry to bring you the news; I just didn't know."  "That's all right, I would have found out sooner or later anyway."  And back in Vidabra, Bric's mate Jennifer soon heard of her untimely widowhood.  She mourned in agony for weeks, taking comfort from her friends.  Eventually she was able to return to her life of service on the farm.

    "Eddie, this afternoon you're scheduled for a game of 'Hold On!' with the youths.  See who can stay on a Steg's swinging tail the longest.  Sounds like fun."
"Why are they having me do all this kid's stuff?"
"Evidently they feel you need it.  I say, just take it in stride.  Not everyone arriving at our age gets to do Treetown, so enjoy it."
"I'm nobody special to deserve all this attention," said Eddie.
"Yes, you are.  James told me that even with your limited experience you're a fine convoy guard.  He doesn't want to lose you."
"OK, so are you coming to the Hold On game with me?"  "I'm afraid not today, Eddie.  I couldn't get out of this afternoon shift at the weather station."

    That afternoon, George received a letter via postal bird:

TREETOWN WS NOON REPORT:
TEMP 29 C.
HUMIDITY 65 %
WINDS FROM SE AT 10 KM/H, GUSTS TO 15.
BARO 1012 MB, FALLING
PARTLY STRATUS CLOUDS, DENSER WESTWARD

"Why on earth did Phil send me this?"


And the Waterfall City Weather Service received:

    To: George Silvas, Windy Point Fishery

    My friend George,

    Hope you're well.  I've got Eddie here with me.  We're so sorry to hear your news about the truly awful fishing at Windy Point, as well as the fish reserves soon to be depleted.  With your crew's morale as low as it is, we hope to be of some encouragement.  First, what's this about no longer singing?  Eighth Code, remember?  The worse the news gets, the louder you need to sing.  It will help everyone's spirits.  Eddie has friends at the Black Fish Tavern, and he's going to try and arrange some grog to arrive with the next convoy.  And you can do a lot to encourage the others, even the veterans.  We know that a Dolphinback has saved the day here, more than once.  So do what you can to encourage the others, and you'll feel better too."

    Your friend and shipmate,

    Phil Davis, Treetown

The meteorologists looked at each other.  "How come we haven't heard of this fish problem?"
"We're Waterfall City.  Sauropolis handles the fish."
"That explains it.  Well, we had better forward this to George -- evidently, he needs it.  And let's see what Sauropolis has to say for themselves."
© Copyright 2024 bricabrach (UN: bricabrach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
bricabrach has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064024