*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064026
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fanfiction · #2313902
Can a trio of shipwrecked newbies help preserve Dinotopia's legendary peace and harmony?
#1064026 added April 10, 2024 at 5:08pm
Restrictions: None
Party Upstairs
    "Wake up, Phil.  Your typhoon slumber party's over!"
Phil rubbed his eyes to see two welcome sights -- the rising sun, and Bob's youthful face.  "I'm starved.  Did I miss breakfast?"
"No, I was sure to get you down ahead of time.  You're a hero, and the Matriarch's giving you the day off.  I'll return and make the day's observations.  You get fed and take a rest."
It felt strange to hear his erstwhile student barking orders at him, but Phil didn't mind.  The climb down the station ladder felt -- well, like descending the Backbone Mountains.

    After breakfast, Phil slept most of the day in his tree basket, then went for dinner.  He found the table with Bob and Eddie, the latter happy to report that he could ride the Steg's tail longer than any of the Treetown students.  Phil laughed, "There you go, showing off again.  Hey Bob, how did it go today?"
"Fine. I figured out how to re-mount the windsock. The morning and afternoon reports went out on schedule. It was a piece of cake compared to what you've been through.  Now, have you noticed how crisp and clear the air feels?"
"Well, I was asleep for most of today -- yet you're right, it's not your typical evening for late Summer.  Everything seems brighter and clearer today.  And cooler than usual.  Looks like the typhoon, which feeds on the latent heat in warm ocean water, pulled some of that heat away with it."

    Phil invited Bob and Eddie up for the evening's observation.  When the postal bird arrived to receive the report, she brought in a letter.  "Let me see that!" said Eddie.  "It's from George.  He says thanks for the encouragement.  Also, that today's fishing's been phenomenal.  Hauling in one after another, they crammed the smoker full and started filling another.  It's like it was years ago."

    Phil tried to make sense out of everything -- the typhoon, the dolphins, the ups and downs with fishing.  "I have an idea.  Eddie, could you send to the Black Fish Tavern and ask someone you know there about Dolphin Bay?  Specifically, how the dolphin population there compares to typical norms?  Here's what I'm thinking:  We'll assume for the moment that the sea temperature has been increasing over the years.  Back on the ship, George told me that to catch a fish, you must know what conditions they like.  Well, this may explain the fish problem.  The waters off Windy Point have been getting warmer than what's comfortable for this species of fish, so they moved on."
Bob jumped in: "And the typhoon, surely the largest rain we've seen in recent times, cooled the sea down a lot."
Eddie: "Yet despite this we're still doomed.  We can't count on regular typhoons to save us."
"No, but Dolphin Bay is nearly 200 knots closer to the South Pole than is Windy Point.  Perhaps the fish have migrated there."
"And dolphins eat fish!" Eddie noted.  "Maybe that's why they weren't around to greet us -- they were staying where the fish were."
"Bob said, "So if there's been more dolphins than usual at Dolphin Bay these past months, that shows there's fish to be had there."
"Yes, if the dolphins followed the fish down there, we'll know what needs to be done."

    Phil thought it was time.  "I've brought these mugs up with me so let's celebrate with some of Eddie's moonshine."  Phil poured three mugs brim-full and handed them out.
"Gasp, this stuff could bring down a Dryosaurus."
"Sure could."

    The alcohol had its desired effect. "Hey, you want to learn a sea shanty?"
"As long as it's clean, we do have resident saurians here."
Being so high up, the weather station -- the able platform it was for the Parasaurolophus warning horn -- broadcast their drunken singing quite audibly, causing no small discussion the next day.  When Phil offered more hooch, Bob replied, "We'd better stop at one or we'll never make it down the ladder."

    Next morning, Phil woke up to what he thought was an awful hangover -- only to find his being down with a fever.  Bob tended the station and brought Phil some herbal tea and the day's messages.  "Eddie's bartender reports that yes, there's been unusual numbers of dolphins hanging around the Bay lately."

  Eddie showed up afterward with more news.  "It looks like a delegation of politicians from Sauropolis and a couple Habitat Partners will arrive next week.  And they all want to see you!"
"How come I didn't hear of this till now."
"I don't know, perhaps the Matriarch didn't want to disturb you since you're ill.  I only know because they'll be kicking me out of the VIP Tree."
"Well, Eddie, I'd offer you my quarters here while I sleep in the station, except you might catch what I have.  But you're welcome to take up residence there if you like."\
"Thanks, but I'm sure Treetown will find alternate accommodations for me."

    Once his visitors left, Phil wondered how to handle meeting with all these dignitaries.  They know much about Dinotopia's heritage that he didn't.  So, it's only logical, Phil thought, to stick with what he did know -- the weather and climate stuff.  This way, he figured, he could do the best while getting into the least trouble.
© Copyright 2024 bricabrach (UN: bricabrach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
bricabrach has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064026