*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064195
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2312124
A book to house my Daily Flash Fiction entries.
#1064195 added February 14, 2024 at 8:50pm
Restrictions: None
Stray Arrows and Melting Hearts
Emy sighed, pushing a strand of auburn hair out of her eyes. Another Valentine's Day alone, another stream of happy couples waltzing past her cafe window. It was always bittersweet – good for hot chocolate sales, but a sharp tug on her lonely heart.

A bell chimed as the door opened, a blast of icy wind swirling in with a young man whose smile was instantly warmer than her most comforting beverage. He hesitated, eyes scanning the cafe. "Actually, make it for two," he grinned, plopping down with an odd-shaped package balanced on his lap. His friendly warmth sparked something in Emy.

Suddenly, he was dashing outside, leaving the package behind. Before she could protest, he was helping a woman and a small child who'd nearly wiped out on the icy pavement. When he returned, a single red rose in hand, Emy's heart did a strangely fluttery thing.

"For you," he said, offering it bashfully. Then a small boy squealed into the cafe – eyes matching the young man's.

"You forgot me!" he cried. The man winked at Emy. "Check your chair, buddy. Someone might've left you a surprise." The boy tore into the package, revealing a heart-shaped box of chocolates. His joy echoed his father's kind smile.

Warmth filled Emy – the kind that had nothing to do with coffee. Maybe sometimes, Cupid's stray arrows were dipped in chocolate, carried by laughing children, and landed straight in the hearts of those who needed a little sweetness on a chilly Valentine's Day.




WORD COUNT: 251 Words
WRITTEN FOR: "Winner for 2/13 and prompt for 2/14"  
PROMPT: Write a story that includes the words: heart, chocolate, Cupid
© Copyright 2024 GERVIC πŸ‰ WDC Dragon Vale (UN: gervic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GERVIC πŸ‰ WDC Dragon Vale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064195