*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064631
by Rhyssa
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2242614
entering Wonderland again
#1064631 added February 21, 2024 at 11:11pm
Restrictions: None
B-1: Dropping the Kid Gloves
You've been called upon to create a whole new frock for Alice on her grand adventure. It's time to bring your designing skills (or lack of) to the table. (<500 words)

The design took a while. I wanted something practical. This was for Alice, after all. The essence of Alice is reason in the face of utter nonsense. But sorting out what practical was in Wonderland? That took some doing, especially since I had a committee of helpers on hand. I started sketching.

“She needs a hat,” the Hatter insisted almost immediately. “That's the most essential part of an outfit, after all.”

I erased a line and roughed out her shape.

“Where's the tea tray?” That was the Dormouse.

“She's not going to be serving tea on her adventure,” I said. My pencil didn't stop moving.

“I find,” said the March Hare, “that tea is an essential element of every adventure.” He slurped loudly.

“A vest for her pocket watch,” said the White Rabbit.

“The most practical element of MY wardrobe,” said the Cheshire Cat, “Are my whiskers, of course.”

I sighed and turned to a fresh page. Practical. Sturdy calico in blue. Knee length. Short sleeves. A pinafore. A headband. Comfortable socks and boots. In a few minutes, I had come up with something nearly identical to her original outfit (although I believe the shoes were sturdier) with some reference to Dorthy Gale because they went on similar adventures. “There we go.”

Everyone nodded. At least it looked like something Alice would wear.

word count: 229

LinkTextHere

© Copyright 2024 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064631