*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065273
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2313223
My Wonderland adventures are kept here...
#1065273 added February 29, 2024 at 7:30pm
Restrictions: None
[D-1] Advice from a Caterpillar :: Identity Crisis
D. Advice from a Caterpillar
Identity Crisis - Who Are You?

Create a blog entry (or static item) that deals with moment(s) you’ve questioned yourself over any decision. (<1000 words)



Breaking the Family Mold


Let me start by admitting something: I'm a coward. At least, that's how it feels these days. The words "I'm bisexual" have been hovering on the tip of my tongue for years now, a secret whispered only to the empty corners of my room. They're a weight I carry, a stone in my shoe that makes every step feel a little bit off.

My sisters know – they always have. They are the kind of sisters who read you like your favorite book, seeing the unwritten lines in every hesitant smile and lingering gaze. They've offered unwavering support, never a hint of pressure—just the quiet understanding that I'll find my voice in my own time.

But telling my parents? That's a completely different hurdle. It's one thing for them to suspect, to piece together the subtle clues I've haphazardly dropped over the years. It's another thing altogether for their son, the person they've raised and known and loved for all these years, to shatter their unspoken image of who I am.

And then there are the relatives. A whole extended clan where no one, at least not that I know of, has ever walked a path like mine. Being the first, the different one, adds a strange layer of pressure—a sense of responsibility to not just myself, but to them in some impossible way. Will whispered conversations trail me at family gatherings? Will I become the topic of raised eyebrows and concerned glances? The fear of disappointing them, of making them uncomfortable, sits heavy on my shoulders.

The arguments in my head are worse than any family interrogation could ever be. "Just tell them, it'll be fine," the voice of reason tries to soothe. Then the voice laced with doubt kicks in: "Are you prepared for the awkward questions? The looks of confusion, maybe even a flicker of disappointment reflecting back at you?" It's a relentless back and forth, a battle between my longing for honesty and the crippling fear of disrupting the status quo.

My fear isn't about outright rejection. I genuinely believe my parents love me enough to get past the initial surprise, to embrace the fuller picture of me. My fear is rooted in change. It's about forcing them to recalibrate, to rewrite the comfortable narrative they've likely constructed around their son. Those shifts, even with the most loving parents, can be filled with fumbled words and moments of uncomfortable silence. And knowing I sparked those moments? That's what keeps the words locked tight in my throat.

The relatives add another dimension to it all. There's a silent script passed down in families, unspoken rules and expectations about how things "should be." I know my sexuality won't shatter the world, but it'll definitely throw a wrench into some outdated family narratives. The thought of being the topic of whispered discussions, the unintentional black sheep, the source of my relatives' unfamiliarity... it's surprisingly daunting. I don't want to disappoint them, to become a source of their discomfort, however unintentional.

It's a ridiculous thing to worry about, I know. My happiness shouldn't be dictated by other people's expectations. Yet, here I am, stuck in a mental tug-of-war with myself, trapped in the agonizing limbo between secrecy and self-acceptance. I crave the day when I can proudly introduce my boyfriend as the incredible partner he is, not some watered-down "friend." I long for the day the weight of this secret lifts, and I walk a little taller for it. But that day requires a bravery I haven't quite mustered yet.

For now, I exist in the awkward in-between, clinging to the hope that courage builds slowly, piece by piece. Maybe with each passing day, it'll grow a bit bolder until the words are no longer a restless ghost haunting my every quiet moment, but a proclamation of myself, whole and finally free.





WORD COUNT:
647 Words




Merit Badge in Newsfeed 7
[Click For More Info]

Posting or commenting on the Newsfeed 7 days in a row.
Anniversary CNote 7

GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale
I am an author @ Writing.com!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/my_account.php?rfrid=gervic


Proud member of:

"WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group
"Showering Acts of Joy Group
"RAOK Upgrade Brigade Group
"SIMPLY POSITIVE GROUP
"Contest Central Station
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2024 GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale (UN: gervic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065273