*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065668
by Rhyssa
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2314580
Another journey in Wonderland
#1065668 added March 6, 2024 at 2:40am
Restrictions: None
C2: The Dodo
A caucus race has been suggested, where everyone has to run around in circles with no clear winner. Create a blog entry (or static item) where you are in such a race with ten other participants. Who are these fine folks and why would you put them in this meaningless race? (<1000 words)

If I were to spend time running around in circles, which is something that I'm not sure I'd stand for, because after all, I don't run, I would want to surround myself with interesting people. People I could ask questions of and I'd be interested to know the answers.

I'd invite Charlie, one of my best friends from when I was in England. She and I haven't gotten together in years, but we've spent a lot of time walking together through the Lakes District. The first time we met, I got laryngitis, and all I could do was whistle my thoughts—Charlie was my interpreter, telling everyone else what I was thinking, and she got it right.

I'd invite Tim, my Thesis advisor, because I'd like to pick his brain about some of my new stories. He has a good eye for revisions.

I'd invite Erin. She's a friend from graduate school who married up. I miss talking to her. She was the one who wanted me to embroider her a sampler for her wall with the words: Do it your damn self, which really says a lot about her.

If I could have anyone, I'd invite Mrs. B, my tenth grade history teacher. When I was a senior, I spent a semester as her student aid, and even taught a class for her, once. Supervised, of course. She died of cancer the year after I graduated, and I didn't get a chance to say goodbye.

I'd invite Caleb, my nephew who died, because I'd love to see him again. He visits his mother in her dreams, but I never remember mine.

I'd invite Rachel, because I couldn't keep her away if Caleb was actually there.

I'd invite characters that I know from writing them. I'd invite Rae, and talk to her about clay and creation and philosophy and apologize her for writing her at such a scared time of her life.

I'd invite Olivia, and give her a hug and tell her it isn't her fault that her estranged son died so early in our relationship. It was necessary for the story, of course.

I'd invite Ricki because I know she loves to run.

And I'd invite Xander, my dragon. Because if I actually wanted to get a race done, I'd need him there with me to give me a push, and to stop the race when it got too boring to continue.

Word count: 403

© Copyright 2024 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065668