*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066129-Our-trip-to-paradise-on-earth
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1891402
Miscellany
#1066129 added April 22, 2024 at 7:07am
Restrictions: None
Our trip to paradise on earth
Our trip to paradise on earth


I never imagined that I would ever see J &K or the state of Jammu and Kashmir in India, known as heaven on earth In June, 2023, my dreams came true, when I planned and booked a family trip to the above destination with Yatra.com.


Memories of our tour of Kashmir will remain with us for a long time. It was a short four-day vacation at the beginning of June, 2023. Yet it was an experience of immense value.


We took an early morning Indigo flight at 9.20 am from our hometown in the south of India to Delhi. We landed at Indira Gandhi International Airport a couple of hours later, at 11.20 am, IST. After a delicious lunch at the airport, we boarded a flight to Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir.


On landing, about mid afternoon on the same day, a pre-arranged taxi took us to our previously booked Houseboat accommodation on the famous Dal Lake. We were dumbfounded with wonderment at the unexpected luxury of the houseboat, as well as at the clear and crystal cleanliness of the lake. The scenic beauty was par excellence. A tranquil lake surrounded by stately mountains was like a dream sequence unfolding.


Below is a view of the living room in the houseboat.



https://pix8.agoda.net/hotelImages/494/4948199/4948199_18050315470065197136.jpg?...



We had a boat-ride on the evening of our arrival. The sun was still shining and there was a nip to the air. The long ride took us through a floating market selling local artefacts besides woolens including Kashmiri shawls, blankets, colorful quilts and scarves. Clothing of various kinds made of cotton and silk was truly enticing. So were the spices such as cardamom, cloves and a number of dry fruits and nuts. The boat-ride was comfortable with cushioned seats and a lot of leg space.



At night, we went to a special place for dinner that served several dishes original to Jammu and Kashmir. The food was not spicy as I feared. It was mild and tasty.



On the next day, after a good night’s sleep and a light breakfast, we left for Gulmarg, a famous hill resort, which means “meadow of flowers”. It made me see, why Kashmir is being hailed as the paradise that many seek.



We celebrated my grandson Pablo's birthday on the spectacular landscape of Gulmarg. A sixteen going on to seventeen, Pablo loved the goats, cows and even some monkeys, which dotted the mountain slopes and pastures.



https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Gulmarg_-_Jannat_on_Ea...




A bit later around ten in the morning, We took the thrilling motorbike rides on the pillions of expert drivers, who miraculously maneuvered the vehicles around mountains to finally reach the top. They were fast vehicles designed to traverse on the rough terrain of the mountains. It looked like the abode of gods, tranquil and calm, among  rolling green hills with snow covered peaks. That is the wonderful thing about Kashmir. The snow never melts from the mountain ranges despite sunlight just as it is on the Swiss Alps, which I have visited a few years before.



Snow-capped ranges resembled giant sprawling tigers. We spent more than an hour, several thousand feet above the sea level absorbing the pure fresh mountain air with zero pollution.



On return from the motorbike-ride, we checked into a hotel, reserved by the travel agency. We spent the evening in leisurely walks on the pastoral landscape with goats and cows for company. Locals were few in number and the tourists were more. Tourism is being more encouraged in recent times to generate better income for the population.



With absolute silence in the mountains and moderate chill, we had sound sleep on that night.



We started early on the next morning to reach a tiny village on the meadows, called Pehalgam. Surrounded by majestic hills, the village was picturesque. Each of us had an unforgettable pony-ride up the rough and pebble-strewn path to the top of the mountains. This experience was both thrilling and fearful. There were no beaten tracks and we were literally at the mercy of the skillful maneuvering of the horse keepers. One wrong step and down the valley one goes. The whole hill side was dotted with greenery and wild flowers and mini water falls. We got a hearty glance at the untouched nature all around us.



https://cdn.s3waas.gov.in/s330ef30b64204a3088a26bc2e6ecf7602/uploads/bfi_thumb/2...



We enjoyed a comfortable night at this famous mountain retreat.



On the next day, which was the last day of our trip, we started at 8am and broke the journey at Avantipura, formerly a small city-state founded by Avantivarman, a Kashmiri Hindu ruler, who was the first king of the Utpala dynasty and ruled Kashmir from 855 to 883 AD. We saw ruins of the centuries-old temple built by him that later fell to foreign invasion and plunder. Even the ruins bespoke of the art, aesthetics and culture of those bygone times.



https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOvDeNWNThBNtgVgjXNdPCRpEgrstKWkkjoq3Cd...



After roaming among the ruins of the temple, we set out for Srinagar to stay the night. Before night fall, we had the pleasure of visiting the unforgettable Mughal gardens named Nishat gardens. Their grandeur was overwhelming. The gardens were kept spic and span. Roses were everywhere in a variety of colors. Rose bushes were shaped and spread beautifully throughout the gardens. We were highly impressed by the way in which gardeners and the maintenance staff worked untiringly to keep the gardens fresh and fragrant. Strolling through the rose gardens and  strategically channeled water-canals, we had a good idea of the enjoyment of the emperor's wives for whose pleasure these were created.



https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/India_-_Srinagar_-_023_-_Nis...



Our late evening in J&K was devoted to shopping at the famous LalChowk known as shoppers' favorite haunt and visiting the newly constructed market places and beautiful restaurants. We had dinner in one of the restaurants, doing justice to our last meal in J&K.



On our return home, we talked for a long time about the various interesting and inspiring sights we had seen. All those beautiful spots are imprinted on our minds, which I expect will have a positive impact of bringing calm during times of stress. Of course, there are a number of phots and videos we took to remind us of the happy times we had in Kashmir.



So, the next time you are planning a holiday, make sure of a visit to Jammu and Kashmir, the pride of modern India.
You won't be disappointed.


Dropnote
© Copyright 2024 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066129-Our-trip-to-paradise-on-earth