*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066238-Homemade-Hummingbird-Nectar
Rated: 13+ · Book · Food/Cooking · #2190227
My Recipe Book, constantly being added to
#1066238 added March 20, 2024 at 10:18am
Restrictions: None
Homemade Hummingbird Nectar

Hummingbirds are a remarkable bird. With the highest metabolism of any animal, they can be aggressive feeders, even to the point of bullying other hummingbirds. Nectar is a staple of their food supply and an easy way to draw them to your viewing area.

Buying hummingbird food is a mistake because it's filled with additives. Even the red dye is unnecessary because hummingbirds are drawn by smell. It's so simple to make your own, why buy? It only requires white sugar and purified water.

Below are the ingredients to make 1 cup of hummingbird nectar. However, homemade hummingbird nectar should not be kept in the feeder for no more than 1 month, after which time it will turn rancid, depending on the temperature, of course. During high summer, it will turn much more quickly. I usually quadruple the recipe when making it and store it in 1-cup storage containers in the refrigerator.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup purified hot water
1/4 cup white granulated sugar


DIRECTIONS

Place water in a microwave and warm (water does not need to be boiling). Add white sugar only. Let cool and add to feeder. Refrigerate any extra.

Place your feeder near a tree or shrub where hummingbirds can perch, but 10-15 feet in the open for the benefit of passing hummingbirds. In the eastern US, hang your feeder in early May; April In the western US. You should take it down in late fall and store it so it isn't exposed to winter weather needlessly.
© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066238-Homemade-Hummingbird-Nectar