*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066379
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2313223
My Wonderland adventures are kept here...
#1066379 added March 16, 2024 at 7:33pm
Restrictions: None
[C-2] Looking Glass Insects :: Strange Creatures
C. Looking Glass Insects
Strange Creatures

You're a scientist discovering a new species that includes...? Create at least five of these such creatures; giving details including description, mode of movement, what they eat, reproduction etc.


Here are the five new magical species discovered by Gervic:


*StarfishY* Sylphwisp: These translucent, butterfly-sized creatures resemble living wisps of smoke. They flit erratically on air currents, propelled by bioluminescent pulses that shimmer through their bodies like miniature stars. Sylphwisps feed on magical auras, drawn to strong emotions like joy or creativity. They flit around wizards during spellcasting, absorbing the magical energy, and around artists in moments of inspiration. Reproduction is a beautiful sight. Adult Sylphwisps perform a mesmerizing aerial dance, their bioluminescence intensifying until they erupt in a shower of luminous spores that drift on the wind, seeking new magical pockets to bloom into life.

*StarfishY* Mossfolk: No bigger than a toadstool, Mossfolk resemble miniature, sentient clumps of moss with tiny, glowing eyes that wink on and off like fireflies. They propel themselves by pulsating their root-like appendages, gliding slowly across forest floors, leaving trails of bioluminescent light in their wake. Mossfolk subsist on a diet of dewdrops and moonlight, their bioluminescence reflecting the lunar cycle. Reproduction is a complex dance – two Mossfolk intertwine their root systems, their bioluminescence pulsing in synchrony. Spores erupt from their bodies, intertwining and forming a glowing, pulsating pod that hatches weeks later into a new Mossfolk.

*StarfishY* Rockhoppers: These squat, rock-like creatures resemble oversized pebbles with stubby limbs. Despite their stony exterior, they are surprisingly warm to the touch, emanating a comforting geothermal heat. Surprisingly fast, Rockhoppers propel themselves with powerful hops that can launch them surprising distances. Internal geothermic crystals not only generate heat but also create a faint magnetic repulsion that allows them to skim across the ground with minimal friction. They subsist on a diet of minerals, using their surprisingly strong jaws to nibble on cave walls and consuming specific types of crystals for sustenance. Rockhoppers reproduce asexually, shedding a small, pebble-like shell that rolls away and pulses with a faint bioluminescent glow for a hundred years. The shell then erupts, revealing a miniature Rockhopper ready to begin its life.

*StarfishY* Mooncalves: Luminous, serpentine creatures with iridescent scales that shimmer like moonlight on water, Mooncalves dwell exclusively in the deep, moonlit lakes. Blind, they navigate the perpetual darkness using their bioluminescence, which casts an ethereal glow around them. Mooncalves feed on a bioluminescent plankton bloom that thrives only in the light of the moon, rising each night to the surface layers of the lake to graze. They reproduce hermaphroditically, laying luminous eggs that adhere to the lake floor in intricate, glowing patterns. When bathed in the light of a full moon, the eggs hatch, releasing dozens of tiny, bioluminescent Mooncalves into the depths.

*StarfishY* Nimbus: These majestic creatures resemble winged horses sculpted from pure cloud. Their bodies constantly shift and billow, their form ever-changing like the clouds themselves. Nimbus soar through the skies propelled by powerful wind currents, their bodies crackling with electrical energy during storms. They feed on lightning strikes, diving into the heart of a storm and absorbing the energy through specialized organs within their cloud-like bodies. Reproduction for Nimbus remains a mystery. They have never been observed engaging in any behavior that suggests it. Some believe they simply appear in the sky, formed from the very essence of storms, while others theorize they bud off from existing Nimbus during particularly violent tempests.



...and a story

Science Meets Magic


The air filled with the smell of ozone and a faint hum of static electricity, a proof to the chaotic energies Gervic had dared to manipulate. He was never one to turn down a challenge, especially one that promised to shatter the perceived barriers separating science and the mystical. Before him, etched into a shimmering crystal array, lay the culmination of years of obsession – archaic symbols intertwined with complex equations, faded grimoire whispers mixed with bleeding-edge physics.

The transport spell was a monstrosity of conjecture and risk. It wouldn't merely bridge a gap in space, it would tear open a conduit of space itself. The destination wasn't so much a fixed coordinate as it was a sliver of existence where the magical and the natural freely intermingled. It was the scientific equivalent of poking a hole in the fabric of reality with a rusty nail, but that was half the fun, wasn't it?

With a final flourish and a muttered incantation more akin to a physicist's desperate prayer, Gervic threw the switch. The world ripped open, revealing not the expected blackness of the void, but a radiance so intense it seared his retinas. When his vision finally cleared, he wasn't standing amidst the controlled chaos of his laboratory, but on a moss-covered slope overlooking a valley so impossibly verdant it painted his understanding of biology a garish shade of wrong.

The very air thrummed with an unseen energy, the plants themselves rippling with an inner light. This wasn't just a new ecosystem; it was a place where magic was as fundamental a force as gravity. Gervic, his scientist's brain whirring on overdrive, began to document everything. Detailed sketches filled his journal, hasty notes spilling onto every available surface. He even managed to coax a few skittish, translucent wisps into a hastily prepared containment sphere for later, intensive study. He dubbed them Sylphwisps, their ethereal nature reminding him of the mischievous spirits of air from his world's mythology.

Days bled into nights, the passage of time losing all meaning in the face of such unfiltered wonder. Exploring a cave network dripping with luminous fungi, Gervic stumbled upon a sight that initially made him question his own sanity: a colony of what appeared to be living, sentient moss. These weren't mere plants; they were creatures as complex as any forest mammal. Miniature beings sculpted entirely of bioluminescent fuzz, their tiny eyes twinkling like shy stars against the cavern's dimness. Mossfolk, he named them, their gentle, communal nature challenging his preconceptions of life.

It was high on a windswept mountain peak that Gervic found the Rockhoppers. Their stone-like forms, deceptively inert, belied their true nature. Picking one up, he was startled by the warmth radiating through the creature's rough exterior. These, he knew, would prove incredibly valuable back home. The energy they stored... perhaps a new power source, clean and near-limitless... his mind ran ahead of itself, equations and potential applications flashing across his thoughts.

The lakes... the lakes were where his sense of wonder reached its breaking point. By day, they mirrored the sky and mountains with perfect clarity, yet the second darkness fell, they transformed into phosphorescent seas. Their depths teemed with strange, moon-touched life, the apex of which were the Mooncalves – eels forged from purest starlight, weaving hypnotic patterns through the bioluminescent blooms. They seemed to exist in a realm beyond his comprehension, blind yet undeniably aware.

And always, high above, were the Nimbus. The embodiment of unbridled power, their cloud-bodies sparking with the raw energy of the heavens. Gervic longed to get closer, to dissect their unique physiology, but they were as untouchable as a thunderstorm. Perhaps, just perhaps, one day he could devise a way... the idea thrilled and terrified him all at once.

This magical realm held countless secrets, an entire universe's worth of discoveries crammed into a single, dazzling sliver of existence. But duty called. The world, his world, was waiting. Part of him ached to stay, to lose himself in wonder and endless questions, but he carried a responsibility. These discoveries, if fully understood, could rewrite the very foundations of physics, medicine, perhaps even philosophy itself.

With one final, bittersweet glance at the vibrant impossibility of it all, Gervic activated the return spell. The radiant valley faded, replaced once more by the familiar clutter of his laboratory. Something in him had shifted. He was forever changed, not only as a scientist, but as a human being who had glimpsed the impossible. The lines between magic and science had irrevocably blurred, prompting an entirely new universe of unasked questions.

He would write a report, of course, meticulously detailed, brimming with data. But would his colleagues believe? Would they even begin to comprehend?


Find out as Gervic's scientific and magical adventures soon continues...







Merit Badge in Kindhearted
[Click For More Info]

Thank you so much, dear Gervic, for your wonderful donation to  [Link To Item #1630911] . You Rock! Hannah & Gang~*^*Heart*^*
Get Well Soon Banner

GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale
I am an author @ Writing.com!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/my_account.php?rfrid=gervic


Proud member of:

"WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group
"Showering Acts of Joy Group
"RAOK Upgrade Brigade Group
"SIMPLY POSITIVE GROUP
"Contest Central Station
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2024 GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale (UN: gervic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066379