*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067335
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2317091
All entries related to "House Targaryen" and the "Game of Thrones" activity
#1067335 added April 1, 2024 at 6:23pm
Restrictions: None
Door 3: House of Black and White
The Unburdened


She recalls the icy sensation of the sapphire punctuated with husky lies of fidelity whispered in her ear. The jewelry settles heavy upon her chest as if desperate to meld into her flesh. It now glitters pale blue shadows across exquisite bone china filled with the finest tea; their fragrance intoxicating to those who inhale amidst muted laughter that sounds so false to her ears.

Across the expanse of cotton and lace, cluttered with silver platters of succulent delights and golden candlesticks flickering with taunting flames, she watches him in an oh-so familiar dance. There’s the flash of brilliant white teeth against bronzed flesh - that isn’t hers – whispering more meaningless promises of lust. He moves closer still; perhaps desperate to meld into her flesh, while a gloved hand reaches for the finest tea.

He pauses long enough with his flirtations to take a sip, and she exhales in relief when it slips from his grip.

There is chaos when he flails; features reddening, swelling, convulsing; the look of surprise almost comical on once handsome features. A shriek of horror pierces the silence; the immediate cacophony of confusion deafening. The finest tea, now sprayed across the table, is barely acknowledged; no one caring for the innocuous white speckles of what had once been a mushroom of the deadly kind lingering on exquisite bone china.

She had paid the maid good money to get the finest there was after all.

Carefully, carefully, she lifts her hands to unclasp the heavy burden pressed against her chest and places it upon the table as a memento of what could have been. And as she weaves through the sea of curious bodies, filled with greed to feast on his imminent demise, no one pays any attention to the widowed bride.

They never had anyway.



Word Count: 300

Daily Flash Fiction Prompt

Forum Post: "*Dragon2*April 2nd Entry"  



----------------------------------


*Heart* "Romance/Love Newsletter (January 25, 2023)

Why Was It Picked?

I am a sucker for a good romantic story; yes, even those stories with the most cliché story lines, and who better to give me some advice on how to improve my romance-writing-skills than the Queen herself – StephBee. She’s well-versed in this genre, and opening her newsletters is always a treat to say the least. In this one, she gives us a history lesson. We get to learn about one of the oldest Valentine stories ever written. How cool is that?

What I Liked About It:

Good Lord! I never knew Charles, Duke of Orleans (and forgive me as my head went straight to New Orleans but he wasn’t even within walking distance of that place!) was imprisoned for that long. 24 years! Goodness, the English can be so bitter. But moving along, we learn that poor Charlie - after losing his first wife whom he loved dearly - ends up being imprisoned for 24 years in the Tower of London (P.S: That is on my list of places to visit since I live pretty close by. Hah!) after yet another war. While in captivity, Charles had plenty of time to pen letters and poetry; most were of the romantic kind that were addressed to his wife. In this newsletter, Steph highlights a few classics, and it’s easy to tell just how passionate Charles was. If anything, this has made me want to check out more of his work, so thanks for that Stephanie! *Bigsmile*


*Reading* "Short Stories Newsletter (August 9, 2023)

Why Was It Picked?

Short stories are my forte and any information that can help in improving my writing in that department is more than welcome. With a title like ‘Gut Punch’, my hope is that Lilli 🧿 ☕ will be able to give me tips on ways I can connect even more emotionally with my readers.

What I Liked About It:

From the pointers she listed, I got the basic gist that everything starts and ends with my main (or maybe not so main) characters. I have to devote more than just two-dimensional attributes while writing. I need to really bring them to life and allow the reader to experience their journeys along the way. If they are hurt, my reader should feel the pain. If they are ecstatic, my reader should be dancing in their living room as well. If they were to meet an unfortunate demise aka death, then they should be sobbing uncontrollably or writing me letters wanting to kick my butt for traumatizing them. Here’s glaring at you G.R.R.M and those other two whose names I shall not mention. Short but sweet, but very informative, Lilli. Thank you!


*Anarchy* "Drama Newsletter (June 21, 2023)

Why Was It Picked?

When you put the words ‘Drama’ and ‘Family’ in a sentence, it’s usually not in a positive light, is it? So, this newsletter caught my attention because it made me consider the idea of actually writing a family memoir someday. Joy’s newsletters are always informative with good tidbits that could assist with your dramatic writing.

What I Liked About It:

The opening paragraph had me thinking of possibilities right off the bat. Yes, I do like writing and (sometimes) reading personal stories, but would I be able to pull off something as massive as a family memoir? And if so, how would I even go about it? Where would I start? It’s difficult enough getting in touch with everyone on the phone, and my family is pretty extended in every which way, so the pointers she gives are a good roadmap to how I can pull it off. She suggests, naturally, letting them know you’re even planning to do such a thing. I mean nothing is worse than waking up one morning to see your entire life history on a shelf without your permission, right? Then there’s the suggestion of finding a like-minded individual in the family who would be willing to assist through the journey. In my case, I am lucky to have an older brother who loooves collecting family photographs and historical pieces, so that’s half my work done already. The newsletter then recommends that perhaps sharing the workload will help. Maybe my brother could write a chapter and I’d focus on another; or better yet, we both decide which sections we want to tackle; perhaps I can work on my mother’s side of things and he does my father’s side of things etc. etc. Either way, neither of us should feel burdened with the project, and we should always look for input from other family members who might want to share their thoughts on it. When done with the first draft, it’s also a good idea for said family members to give their final verdict. There’s no guarantee that everyone will love it, and it might end up ruffling a few feathers, but as long as it remains factual and is filled with the wonderful things that make my family so unique, it is bound to be a hit with an audience that can appreciate it.


*Ghost* "Horror/Scary Newsletter (October 4, 2023)

Why Was It Picked?

Because I thought you were going to be talking about The Walking Dead or something, Gaby ~ Quiet contemplation. *Facepalm*. False advertising with that header, Missy! On a serious note, this is a newsletter that hits closer and closer to home these days. I work with the elderly population as well, and there’s really nothing more depressing than seeing their isolation in real time from all the gizmos and gadgets around them. There is something rather terrifying about being surrounded by things you are no longer in control of and with no one around to lend a helping hand.

What I Liked About It:

The quote used at the beginning of the newsletter is one that makes you think. Yes, technology is a gift from God, but at what cost? I mean…this whole AI situation is just making things even more scary. In the art community, I am seeing so many traditional artists closing up shop because who can now compete with programs that whip out ‘art’ with just a few words typed into a screen? Let’s not even get into the writing aspect of things. Will we eventually see the eradication of true writers who still slave away at typewriters or still rely on the old pen and paper? And then you bring up another issue; a generation so fixated on ‘convenience’ and everything handed to them via a device small enough to fit in the palm of their hand, that they forget how to survive in the real world. I think the colloquial term is the raising of ‘snowflakes’, and a part of me is almost glad I have no kids of my own, as I’m unsure of how I could raise them in this environment. I also consider myself super lucky to be born in the era when things were still relatively ‘normal’, so to speak. So yes, I am in fear of what the future does hold in the way of technology. I just hope someday I will not be considered obsolete.


*Laugh* "Comedy Newsletter (September 20, 2023)

Why Was It Picked?

Because this newsletter called to my introverted soul like a swan song! *Sob* I mean, you hit this one out of the ballpark 🐦GeminiGem🌷 because I felt your discomfort and torturous escapade in the plane. This newsletter was written to get us thinking of how we can incorporate the diverse natures of introverts and extroverts in a comedic setting.

What I Liked About It:

I think I already mentioned it above; the way it’s able to pinpoint some of the reasons why we introverts are the way we are. It’s not that we don’t like people, we don’t just like them crowding our space all the time. I like a buffer zone and the ability to think without you breathing down my neck. Also those images at the beginning of the newsletter are hilarious, especially the phone pie chart *Laugh*. There are so many classic stories, movies, and books that feature such couples, the most famous being the movie The Odd Couple with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathau, which was made into a T.V. series with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman. With such comedy greats playing the roles, there’s no shortage of laughter while watching.




Prompt


Fire and Blood - the Throne is Ours!

© Copyright 2024 iKïyå§ama (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067335