*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1068068
Rated: ASR · Book · Activity · #907647
I will be keeping my Game Of Thrones Stories here
#1068068 added April 8, 2024 at 4:23pm
Restrictions: None
Steam Engines
1. Inventions
Explain the invention
Show people's reaction
What does royalty think of such an invention?

A steam engine is a heat engine that performs mechanical work using steam as its working fluid. The steam engine uses the force produced by steam pressure to push a piston back and forth inside a cylinder. This pushing force can be transformed by a connecting rod and crank, into rotational force for work. The term steam engine is most commonly applied to reciprocating engines. It is also called a steam turbine. We use the term steam engines. The essential feature of steam engines is that they are external combustion engines. The working fluid is separate from the combustion products. The term steam engine can refer to either complete steam plants, like railroad locomotives and portable engines or the piston or turbine machinery alone as in the beam engine and stationery engine. Thomas Savery invented the steam pump. The first successful engine could transmit continuous power to a machine that was developed in 1712 by Thomas Newcomen. James Watt made a critical improvement in 1764 by removing spent steam toa separate vessel for condensation, greatly improving the amount of fuel consumption. Stationery steam engines became the Industrial Revolution. Steam engines replaced sails for ships on paddle streamers and steam locomotives operated on railroads.

Reciprocating piston type steam engines were the dominant source of power until the early 29th century. The efficiency of stationery steam engine increased dramatically about 1922. Electric motors and internal combustion engines resulted in gradual replacement of steam engines in commercial use. Steam turbines replaced reciprocating engines in power generation, due to lower cost, higher operating speed and higher efficiency. Small scale steam turbines are much less efficient then large ones.

Large reciprocating piston steam engines are still being manufactured in Germany.

People were afraid of the steam engine invention but changed their mind when they found out those who worked at a job involving steam, that the work was easier, faster and made more money from factory production.

The locomotive revolutionized commercial transportation with a durable, faster, cheaper way to move goods. The Governor Stanford was the first train on the Central Pacific, the first continental line in 1896 when joined with the Union Pacific.

Queen Victoria loved riding on the Steam Engine train. I read Queen Elizbeth had her own train she rode on.

395 Words
© Copyright 2024 Princess Megan Rose 22 Years (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose 22 Years has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1068068