*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
16
17
18
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1068863-Evening-Sirens
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2264475
Random Writing, Blogs and Adventures
#1068863 added April 15, 2024 at 9:08pm
Restrictions: None
Evening Sirens
I was visiting Ireland and had taken a late night stroll when I heard a noise... A high pitched whistle. It was soft but melodic. It seemed to stop me in my tracks. I could best describe it as the wind hitting against a wind chime but it seemed to vary in cadence almost like a song. It was so beautiful.

My eyes seemed to glaze of over. Something in me wanted to find out where the music was coming from.

Trying to pinpoint the source of the music I wandered the area. Before I knew it, I found myself staring over a cliff. The music seemed to be coming from the lake below.

I stared into the lake. It was as if I could see all my happy memories down there. The whistle echoed from below calling me. It was like an earworm I couldn't shake. My body moved on its own jumping over the edge. I feel the icy water hit me hard as I pass out.

I woke up on shore coughing.

"Easy lad. You just took a dive... you are so lucky you didn't hit the rocks below." A fisherman who had pulled me out out of the lake told me.

"Did you hear the song?" I asked.

"Song?"

"Like the whistling of the wind."

"Ah..." He said seeming to understand. "The evening Sirens be playing tricks on ya!"

"Sirens?"

"We have a saying in the isle avoid the call of the winds at night. They lure men to their death."

The skeptic in me wanted to dismiss his words as folk lore but it was obvious what happened. I had somehow heard the Siren's call and survived it.

Word Count: 283 words

Author's note:
This was written for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge

Prompt: Write a story that includes the line: “I heard a noise.”

© Copyright 2024 KingsSideCastle (UN: kingscastle1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
KingsSideCastle has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1068863-Evening-Sirens