*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1068872
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#1068872 added April 22, 2024 at 9:50pm
Restrictions: None
Splendor in the Grass
The Parable of the farmer sowing seeds is a well-known parable taught by Jesus Christ (Matthew 13:1-23, Mark 4:1-20, Luke 8:4-15). Its meaning is clear because Jesus took the time to explain it to his apostles. There is, however, a verse in all three Gospels that is often forgotten in favor of the more powerful meaning that Jesus was teaching. Still, it is important to the Christian walk.

It has to do with yield from seeds planted on good soil (Matthew 13:8):

But others fell on the good soil and yielded a crop, some a hundred, some sixty, and some thirty times as much.

Several conclusions can be drawn from this final and almost postscript-like teaching of the parable. However, what I find most appealing is that there are variations of what is produced—some will produce more and some less than others. Some followers of Christ will produce 30 times as much, some 60 times as much, and some 100 times as much. Does that mean one is better than another?

To answer that, compare a tree looking down on a blade of grass. The tree may act superior to the grass by gloating over how much taller it is—how closer it is to God and how much more vegetative material it produces. The grass may argue that no one can lie upon a bed of solid wood whereas he can allow mankind the comfort to rest and meditate upon God. Yet both are almost 93 million miles from the sun, so any argument about which is better is pointless within that context.

We are about as close to God's level as that tree and blade of grass are to the sun. Therefore, those who are able to produce more should not gloat and those who produce less should not feel inferior. God loves both the tree and the blade of grass equally, and has a different plan for each. You can't comfortably lay down to rest on a tree branch, and you can't climb a blade of grass. Each has its own purpose.

The apostle Peter was a significant figure in the growth of the early New Testament Church. In fact, Jesus had told Peter he would build the church on him. Things got iffy for Peter at the time of Christ's crucifixion, but afterward, Peter shone. Nine days after Christ ascended to heaven, Peter's preaching at the celebration of Pentecost caused 3,000 people to became followers of Christ. That's a pretty tall tree.

And yet my young grandson knows nothing of the power of Peter's preaching. All he knows is that when he's tired, he always finds a willing lap on his grandfather who will always snuggle with him. He finds that soft grass to be sufficient to suit his needs. I know I'll never be a tall tree like Peter, but I'm content to be my grandson's bed of grass.

And so that little verse at the end of the Parable of the Sower can carry great significance to us in our Christian walk. As long as we remain good soil and continue to grow in Christ, we will always yield more than we can ever imagine. The amount is of concern only to God.


For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. For just as we have many parts in one body and all the body’s parts do not have the same function.
– Romans 12:3-4


Keywords: Parables, Soil, Measurement


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1068872