*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1069648-A-Story--Sunset-Ember-Tincture
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2317097
Gervic's GoT challenge responses
#1069648 added April 25, 2024 at 9:08am
Restrictions: None
A Story :: Sunset Ember Tincture
A gust of icy wind whipped through the cavern, extinguishing the flickering torches and sending Gervic scrambling for his fur cloak. He cursed under his breath, the air thick with anticipation – tonight was the night he attempted to tame Vermithor, the last remaining Black Dread of Valyria.

Suddenly, a booming voice echoed through the cavern, "Gervic Targaryen!"

Gervic squinted through the darkness, spotting a lone figure approaching. It was Jeff, a knight from the Free Folk, a man known for his unexpected alliances and even more unexpected gifts.

"Jeff, what brings you here?" Gervic asked, his voice laced with suspicion.

Jeff stopped a few paces away, a small, glowing orb cradled in his hand. "A token of good fortune," he rumbled, offering the orb. Its surface shimmered with a deep red and orange glow, like a captured sunset.

"What is it?" Gervic hesitated, wariness etched on his face.

"Sunset Ember Tincture," Jeff explained, a hint of amusement in his voice. "Made from the last rays of the setting sun, it brings warmth and a touch of calm. Useful for negotiating with fire-breathing beasts, wouldn't you say?"

Gervic studied the orb, the warmth emanating from it was undeniable. Still, he remained cautious. "Why are you giving this to me?"

Jeff gave a gruff shrug. "Heard whispers of your little dragon taming attempt. Wouldn't want Targaryen blood staining these caverns if things go south. Besides, you lot haven't exactly been the friendliest bunch lately."

Gervic chuckled, a flicker of warmth spreading through him – a warmth not entirely from the potion. Jeff, for all his roughness, had a point. Years of war had strained relations between the Free Folk and House Targaryen.

"Thank you, Jeff," Gervic said, taking the orb. "Perhaps there's room for a bit more warmth in Westeros, on both sides."

He uncorked the orb, a sweet, spicy aroma filling the air. Taking a swig, he felt a comforting tingle spread through him. Perhaps, just perhaps, this night wouldn't be all fire and fury after all.

Gervic strode deeper into the cavern, the faint glow of the potion illuminating his path. The air grew thick and humid, the stench of sulfur heavy on his tongue. As he rounded a bend, the cavern opened into a vast chamber, its floor littered with the bones of unfortunate trespassers. In the center, chained to the cavern wall, was Vermithor.

The dragon was a magnificent creature, even in its confinement. Scales the color of polished obsidian gleamed in the darkness, and tattered leathery wings, the size of sails, lay folded against its back. Its eyes, however, were the most terrifying sight. Glowing embers, they burned with an ancient fury.

Gervic took a deep breath, the warmth of the potion calming the rising panic in his chest. He approached Vermithor slowly, each step echoing in the cavernous silence. The dragon’s head swiveled, eyes boring into Gervic. A low growl rumbled through the chamber, vibrating the very stones beneath his feet.

Gervic stopped, raising his hand in a placating gesture. “Vermithor,” he spoke, his voice surprisingly steady. “I come not in anger, but in respect. I seek not to control you, but to understand.”

The growl died down, replaced by a hiss of skepticism. Vermithor’s gaze never left Gervic, assessing, judging. It was a tense standoff, the cavern hanging heavy with anticipation.

Sensing the dragon’s hesitance, Gervic decided to take a chance. He uncorked the potion once more and extended it towards Vermithor. “This,” he explained, the warmth of the potion lending sincerity to his voice, “is a token of peace. A gift from a friend.”

The air crackled with tension as Vermithor’s massive head lowered, sniffing cautiously at the offered orb. The glow from the potion seemed to mesmerize the beast for a moment. Then, with surprising gentleness, Vermithor nudged the orb with its snout, knocking it from Gervic’s hand. It rolled across the cavern floor, landing with a soft clink at the base of the chains that bound the dragon.

Gervic’s heart pounded. Had he offended the creature? Was this a prelude to attack? But then, something unexpected happened. Vermithor lowered its head further, nudging the orb again, this time with its massive claw. The chains, imbued with ancient magic, pulsed with a faint light as the dragon’s touch seemed to activate a hidden mechanism.

A series of clicks echoed through the chamber, and the chains binding Vermithor slackened, then fell away with a clatter. The dragon stretched its wings, the sound like thunder in the confined space. It turned its fiery gaze back to Gervic, a low rumble emanating from its throat.

Was this an attack? Or something else entirely? Gervic stood frozen, the potion’s warmth now a cold sweat on his brow. But then, Vermithor did something that left Gervic speechless. The dragon nudged the fallen orb towards him with its snout, a silent invitation.

Relief washed over Gervic, a wave that nearly knocked him off his feet. Vermithor wasn't attacking, it was... offering him a choice. He stared at the potion, understanding dawning. The dragon, perhaps weary of captivity, perhaps intrigued by the warmth emanating from Gervic, was proposing a deal. Drink the potion, remain a guest, or refuse and potentially face its wrath.

He swallowed hard. The potion's effects were fading, replaced by a cold, primal fear. Yet, the warmth it provided – a warmth he now associated with potential understanding – beckoned him. This wasn't about taming Vermithor, not in the traditional sense. This was about building trust, a bridge between man and beast.

With a shaky hand, Gervic picked up the orb. Vermithor watched him intently, its massive head following his every move. Taking a deep breath, Gervic uncorked the potion, the sweet, spicy aroma filling his nostrils once more. This time, it smelled not just of warmth, but of possibility.

He met Vermithor's gaze, a silent vow passing between them. Then, he drank. The warmth flooded back, chasing away fear and replacing it with a newfound determination. He wouldn't control Vermithor, but he wouldn't leave. He would stay, and he would learn.

As the potion's effects settled, Gervic sat down a safe distance from the dragon. He wouldn't crowd it, wouldn't force interaction. He would simply be present, a beacon of calm amidst the dragon's fiery rage.

Time seemed to lose all meaning in the cavern's depths. Hours, perhaps days, passed in a strange, wordless vigil. Gervic would bring small offerings of meat, leaving them at the edge of the dragon's reach. He would speak in soft tones, not words of command, but stories of the world beyond the cave, of wind and sky, of the sun's warmth on his skin.

Slowly, almost imperceptibly, a shift began. Vermithor's initial aggression dwindled, replaced by a wary curiosity. It would occasionally nudge the offerings closer, a silent question. Sometimes, when Gervic spoke, its fiery gaze wouldn't be quite so intense, a flicker of something akin to understanding passing through its ancient eyes.

One day, as Gervic sat by the entrance, a low rumble echoed through the cavern. Vermithor had unfurled a wing, the tip brushing against Gervic's outstretched hand. The touch was surprisingly gentle, a test, an invitation.

Gervic, his heart pounding with a mixture of fear and elation, reached out and stroked the rough scales. The warmth from the potion seemed to pulse through his hand, a silent bridge between them. Vermithor didn't flinch. It held its position, a silent question hanging in the air.

In that moment, Gervic knew he hadn't tamed Vermithor. He had, however, earned something far more valuable – its trust. The dragon, weary of captivity and perhaps sensing a kindred spirit in the warmth radiating from Gervic, had chosen him. It wasn't a master and his mount, but a partnership forged in the depths of a cavern, a bond born of respect and a shared understanding.

As Gervic emerged from the cavern, blinking in the sunlight, Vermithor's mighty form remained within, a silent guardian. He knew, with a certainty that warmed him more than any potion ever could, that he wouldn't be returning alone the next time he ventured into the dragon's lair.





WORD COUNT: 1,361 Words
PROMPT: "*BeakerY*POTIONS"   | "*Bird*Raven Task #10"  


POTION #3 Sunset Ember Tincture | GIFTED BY: Jeff

Contained in a small amber orb that radiates warmth, this potion mixes the essence of dying sun rays with a dash of dusk breeze. Its contents shimmer with a deep red and orange glow, mimicking the colors of a setting sun. This potion allows the drinker to radiate a comforting warmth, calming those around them and easing tensions in social gatherings.

© Copyright 2024 GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale (UN: gervic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GERVIC 🐉 WDC Dragon Vale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1069648-A-Story--Sunset-Ember-Tincture