*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070261-Chapter-4-Miss-Pink-Hearts-and-Wild-Ben
by Molly
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1776578
A story about a boy and mysterious hobo with amnesia
#1070261 added May 5, 2024 at 9:44am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4: Miss Pink Hearts and Wild Ben

As we pulled up to the curb, Mark stood on the front porch steps. He threw a cigarette down and put his foot over it when he saw my mom’s car.
“What’s Mark doing on our steps? “Mom asked, putting the car in park. “You aren’t going anywhere with him, Caleb. You got school tomorrow. Understand?” She stared at me until I shook my head in agreement.
Mom walked past Mark, giving him a polite smile.
I sat down beside him and said, “What’s up?”
He smiled and then gave me that little smirk that meant he had news— news I wouldn’t believe.
“Guess who I’ve been out with this afternoon?” He did the head bob thing he does when he brags.
I shrugged. “I dunno.”
“Julie.” He smirked.
I smiled. "Ms. Pink hearts?" I shut my eyes for a second, remembering.
"Yeah, and we're going out again tomorrow." He looked around to make sure my mother wasn't listening. "I think she might be the one," he said, wiggling his eyebrows.
"What one?" He couldn't be talking about marriage.
He shoved me with his shoulder. "Ya, know. My first."
I stared at him.
"Oh, for God's sake, Caleb. I'm talking about sex."
I felt my face get warm from embarrassment. "Oh, you really think, her?"
"She let me do the hand under the shirt and French kissing." He stuck his tongue out and moved it around to demonstrate.
"I know what French kissing is, geek!"
He stood up and walked around the side of the house, motioning for me to follow. "I feel safer over here, away from your front door." He looked around again. "I got a plan. I'm gonna ask her to sneak out on Friday night, make a picnic in the woods, and drink a few beers, and you know?"
"Are you sure? I mean, you aren't nervous?"
Mark lit a cigarette and shook his head while slowly releasing the smoke. "Nah, I've seen a porno. I know what to do." He smirked. "Heck, I'll probably be good at it. Have her begging for more."
"You're full of it! I don't think she'll do it, and besides, don't forget who you're talking to. I know you better than anyone, and you've always been all talk, Mark."
"What ya getting so mad about? Jealous?" He took a drag of his cigarette.
"No, I gotta go, anyway."
"Oh yeah, momma's boy has to go inside, and go beddy bye."
"Shut up, Mark."
I walked up the porch steps. I hated to hear him brag about things he'd probably never do, and sometimes, heck yeah, I was a little jealous of him, but I'd never let him know it.
I went inside and straight to my room. I wondered if Julie did let Mark touch her like that. My mind raced as I tossed and turned, thinking about girls, French kissing, and sex. Since I couldn’t sleep, I got up to take a walk down to the bridge and see what Ben was doing.
I looked in the refrigerator and found some cold chicken and a Tab. I put them in a bag and rushed through the wooded area until I reached Ben's campsite.
Ben was sitting in front of the fire, staring into the flames.
I walked up slowly. "Hey, I brought you something."
He glared up at me. I sat the bag beside him and backed away. "You okay, Ben?"
"Sure," he said, slurring his word.
I noticed an empty bourbon bottle beside him. His eyes were red and glossy.
Ben patted the ground beside him. “Go ahead, have a seat.”
I did.
He sat, still staring into the flames. “What’cha doin’ out this late, boy?”
“Couldn’t sleep.”
“What’s her name?”
“What?” My voice squeaked.
“I’ve spent many sleepless nights thinking about women I’ll never have. You know the gorgeous ones, that smell nice, but won’t give nice guys the time of day.
“That sounds like Julie. She’s so pretty. She has big green eyes and blond hair that flows down her back. She always smells like vanilla. “
“Yep, those kinds get you into some trouble, my boy. “
Ben turned and looked at me. There was something about his eyes—kind, familiar. “You’re a nice kid and nice lookin’ too.”
I must’ve given him a strange look because he added, “Oh, I ain’t a fairy or nothin’, just trying to tell you that you’ll find the right girl someday.” He stopped talking and took a deep breath. “Hell, I may have found mine and don’t even remember.” He chuckled.
“Can I ask, well, I just want to know if you remember anything at all about your life?”
“Not a thing, but this place looks sorta familiar to me, like I dreamt about it once or something. All I know for sure is that I woke up naked, stayed in the hospital for a few days, and no one came to claim me.” His voice quivered. “Guess I don’t have any family. OR, maybe they just don’t care that I’m missin’.”
“Where did they find you? Here in Oakridge?”
“No, about 50 miles from here, up in Dalesburgh.”
“That’s too bad, because if you were from around here...well, I know just about everybody, and I might be able to help you find your family.”
“If I have a family.” Ben rubbed his eyes. “You best get on home, boy, ‘fore you worry your folks. “
“Yeah, my mom’s been upset enough as it is, with it being her brother’s birthday and all.”
“Huh? Why is that a bad thing?”
“Because he died sixteen years ago. Drowned right down here somewhere. The family still celebrates his birthday every year, though. “
“Well all be, you are just a sweet ole family now, aren’t ya? I ain’t even dead, and my family don’t come to find me. Must be a good life, of course, I wouldn’t know.” Ben stared at me, except this time his eyes were big and wild.
I scooted back and got up to my feet. “I better go. Goodnight, Ben.”
“Yeah, go on home. Be glad you got a home.” He waved me away.
I heard Ben mumble as I walked about, but couldn’t make out what he was saying. I figured it must be all the booze making him act that way.”
On my walk back, I wondered if maybe Ben could be dangerous if he's drunk. His eyes turned wild and his voice harsh, so I may have to be a little more careful around him from now on.
Dangerous or not, he still needs a family, so I planned to go to the library after school the next day to do some detective work.
© Copyright 2024 Molly (UN: gooble at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Molly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070261-Chapter-4-Miss-Pink-Hearts-and-Wild-Ben