*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070551-Chapter-1-The-Curse
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Molly
Rated: ASR · Book · Religious · #2319579
A preteen girl struggles with family rumors, death of her mother and her faith
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1070551 added May 15, 2024 at 7:01pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1: The Curse


It was Thursday, and the day Chloe got “the curse” or become a woman, depending on whom you asked. Her friend said it is a curse, but Grandma says it is part of becoming a woman. For Chloe, her friends were right.
It happened right in the middle of gym class. Chloe felt something wet between her legs and ran to the restroom. Mrs. Giles, the gym teacher, ran after her.
She knocked on the stall door. “Chloe, are you sick?”
Chloe's voice cracked. “I think I need the nurse.”
“Okay, can you make it on your own?”
“Yeah.” Chloe waited until Mrs. Giles left the locker room, she folded up some toilet tissue placed in the crotch of her panties and went to the nurse.
Nurse Regina was a plump lady with a large bun atop her head that doubled as a pencil holder. She told Chloe to have a seat, while she stuck a thermometer in a boy's mouth lying on a cot. Sliding another thermometer from the green jar of liquid, she shook it off and shoved it in Chloe's mouth.
Chloe blushed. She slid the thermometer out and said, “I don't have a fever, ma'am,” she glanced over at the boy lying on the cot and lowered her voice, “I, I’m bleeding down there. “
“Oh, so you need a maxi pad!” She announced. She rummaged through a drawer and brought out a large, thick cotton pad and an elastic belt. “You take this part, stick it under here and hook these around your hips,” She handed Chloe the contraption. “While you do that, I'll call your mom to come pick you up.”
Chloe went into the restroom and did as Nurse Regina instructed. She opened the bathroom door and peeked out.
“You all set?” Regina asked.
Chloe nodded.
"Your grandma is coming to pick you up. You can wait outside on the bench. “
Chloe walked outside. She used her arm to shield her eyes from the bright sun, and took a seat on the bench, waiting.
Grandma pulled up to the curb and Chloe slid into the passenger seat.
“So, my little Chloe is a woman now.” She smiled.
“I suppose.” Chloe sighed. She didn’t say a word during the car ride home.
****
Chloe went straight to her room and plopped down on her bed.
“Chloe, you want some lunch?” Grandma called.
“Sure,” she replied.
Grandma knocked lightly and opened the door. “I got you two aspirin and a glass of water. It'll help ease any pain.”
Chloe plopped them into her mouth and drank the water. “Thanks, Grandma.”
“Come on out to the kitchen in a few minutes. I’m making us cold meatloaf sandwiches. “
Chloe changed into jogging pants and an old tee shirt and went to the kitchen for lunch.
“You got any questions for me?” Grandma asked.
“How long does this curse last? I feel like I have a mattress between my legs.”
Grandma chuckled. “Well, It's only a week or so out of the month of discomfort.” She set two sandwiches on the table and sat across from Chloe. “You shouldn't think of it as a curse, Dear. It's a natural thing, and it just means you're growing up.”
Chloe picked at the bread on her sandwich. “I wish I could just stay a kid.”
Grandma rubbed her hand. “Oh now! don't say that. Soon you'll be filling out, dating, and then one day you'll be married and have kids of your own. It's a change, but you'll get used to it. “
Chloe looked down at her stick figure. “Well, I guess I wouldn't mind filling out a bit here and there.”
Grandma got up from the table to wash her plate. “Just think you could have a figure like mine someday.” Grandma winked as she ran her hand along her side.
Chloe smiled, but she couldn't imagine her small frame ever resembling her grandmother’s. She was built almost like a snowman. If it wasn't for the apron tied around her waist, you wouldn't notice she had one. And her chest... Chloe couldn't even begin to imagine being so large in that area.
“Where's Mom?”
“She had another doctor's appointment this morning. She should be along anytime.”
Chloe took her plate over to the sink to wash it, but Grandma took it from her. “You go lie down. I'll bring the portable TV in, so you can watch it.”
“Okay, thanks, Grandma.”
****
Chloe fell asleep watching Password, and woke because she heard voices in the kitchen. She rubbed her eyes and got up to see what was going on. She started to pull the door open when she heard her Mom say something about cancer and six months.
Chloe’s heart raced. She felt a lump in her throat. She sat close to the door and slowly opened it just a bit, so she could hear more.
“The doctor said it’s in my lungs.” Her mother’s voice cracked. “I don’t know how to tell my little girl.”
“Honey, you know I’m here for you, and we’ll pray for you, all of us at the church.”
Chloe saw her mother’s shadow pass by her room. She opened the door a little more and crept into the kitchen. Grandma was leaning against the sink, crying.
Chloe coughed.
Grandma quickly wiped her eyes with her apron. “Hey sweetie, how are you feeling?”
“Okay, I guess.” She didn’t want Grandma to know she was eavesdropping, so she asked, “Did I hear Mom come in?”
“Yeah, she just went to her room to lie down for a bit.” Grandma turned her face away. “Go on in and talk to her, woman to woman.” Grandma forced a smile.
Chloe knocked lightly on the bedroom door. “Mom, are you asleep?”
“No, Hon, come on in.”
Chloe curled up beside her mother on the bed. She wanted to ask her about the doctor's visit but thought she should wait for her Mom to say something first.
“I hear you’re my little woman now.” Mom smiled.
Chloe sighed. “I guess.” She scooted closer and rested her head next to her mother’s. “What’d the doctor say?”
Her mom hesitated a moment. “Um, just need some more tests to see exactly what’s going on. I go back on Friday.” She pushed Chloe’s bangs back and kissed her on the forehead. “I’m not going to church tonight. I’m too tired. What about you?”
“I’ll stay here with you.” Chloe smiled. “We can watch a movie or something.”
“What about school tomorrow?”
“I can go. Misty and Rebecca are going to be asking me a million questions, but I think I can handle it. I am a woman now.” She smiled.
“I guess it won’t hurt to miss one night of church.” Mom smiled. “Grandma’s going though if you change your mind.” She yawned.
“Mom, why don’t you take a nap, and I’ll look through the TV Guide to find us a show to watch tonight.
“Sounds good. I’m exhausted.” She closed her eyes and rolled to her side.
Chloe tiptoed out of the room and grabbed the TV Guide.
Are you going with me tonight? Grandma asked.
“Mom said I can stay here and watch TV with her tonight.”
“Alright, Punkin. I’ll see you later. I’m heading out early to help mend the choir robes.”
“Bye, Grams. See you later.”
Chloe stretched out on the couch and closed her eyes. “God, it’s me. Grandma says you know what I need, even before I ask, so I suppose you know what's on my mind. Yeah, it’s Momma. Please, don’t take her from me. Amen. “
****
Grandma came home from church to find Chloe and her daughter asleep on the couch. “Hey, girls maybe you should turn in.”
“Oh, Mom. What time is it?”
“It’s about 9:00. I stayed a little late to have some quiet time to have a talk with God.” She winked.
Chloe yawned and kissed Mom and Grandma. “Goodnight.”
“Goodnight, sweetie.” Grandma sat down next to her daughter. “ I put your name on the prayer list, so everyone is praying




Group Angel Army Signature


Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2024 Molly (UN: gooble at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Molly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070551-Chapter-1-The-Curse