*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/131480-Afghanistan
by RatDog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #274453
A Journal of my adventures in the world I inhabit while I'm asleep.
#131480 added November 3, 2001 at 3:05am
Restrictions: None
Afghanistan?
I'm driving an old rusty Jeep CJ along a dirt road, crossing over a rocky dam in a foreign third world country. There is no water behind the dam, only a small river at the bottom of a deep canyon. I pull up next to a small adobe-type building at the edge of the canyon, and go inside. It is a souvenir shop. I look around, pick up some small items (a paperweight, some cheap handmade jewelry, a refrigerator magnet), and put them on the counter.

I peel off some bills from a small roll I am carrying (American and Australian currency), hand them to the woman behind the counter. She counts them out and translates the amount into her local currency, which comes out to something like $20,000 of their dollars (because their money has been so badly devalued), and tells me I am still short. I do the math in my head, figure out she is trying to cheat me, and demand that she recount it. She does, admits she was wrong, then starts crying.

She says she is sorry, it's just that she has had nothing to eat all day, and the money she will make from my purchase will not even give her enough profit to buy a bottle of soda. I feel sorry for her, so I give her the remaining bills in my hand and say: "Here, I made a mistake. I think you'd better count again. Now you should have the right amount." She smiles and takes the money.

As I leave the building, another woman confronts me, obviously destitute. She is dressed in a ragged, dusty, long hooded robe. She tells me she wants to be my woman. She tries to flatter me, saying she can tell I am strong and virile, a good provider. She says she will work hard, cook my meals, and do anything I want. She smiles at me, desperately trying to look seductive.

I do not find her at all attractive. I tell her I don't need a woman, and offer her some money, hoping she will go away. She refuses the money, saying "I am not a beggar! I am still a desirable woman, I work hard! I will do whatever you want to earn my keep!"

I put my arm around her, trying to find a way to help her, yet allow her to keep her dignity. "I did not mean to offend you, of course you are desirable! Any man would be lucky to have you. But I am a married man, faithful to my wife. Please, take these few dollars as a token of my friendship. Just let me sit here with you for a while and enjoy your company."

She smiles, accepts the money. We sit next to each other on the rocks, not speaking, looking east across the canyon, the late afternoon sun on our backs, enjoying the peace of the desert.

© Copyright 2001 RatDog (UN: cyam_01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RatDog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/131480-Afghanistan