*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/131484-Northern-California
by RatDog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #274453
A Journal of my adventures in the world I inhabit while I'm asleep.
#131484 added November 3, 2001 at 3:11am
Restrictions: None
Northern California
I'm up north on vacation with wife and son. We're staying with my uncle and aunt, they've recently bought a farm there. My uncle asks for help in repairing the roofs on the two barns. He says they leak quite a bit, and wants to get them fixed before the rains come.

I climb up the ladder onto the first barn. The roof is totally gone, all that is left is the framework, with pink insulation showing through. I tell him this, and he says he has some plywood we can put down before we shingle it. He carries sheets of plywood up the ladder to me, and I start nailing them down onto the beams.

I ask Viv if she wants to go downtown to the Jai Alai Fronton. I have a hundred dollars of gambling money with me. She says yes. My aunt and uncle agree to watch our son for the evening, and we drive into town. I don't win anything, but we have a good time.

I'm off by myself, driving through a tall redwood forest. I park alongside the road to talk to a couple of forest service guys who are cutting down trees with chain saws. They tell me they are making room for a new picnic area.

I have a small hand saw with me, and I climb one of the trees. I start cutting dead limbs underneath me, wanting to bring them home to use for firewood. I've cut enough limbs away to where I can see a great view of Mount Shasta in the distance. One of the guys calls over to me: "Hey, you'd better be careful. If you cut too many branches underneath, you won't be able to get down!"

I stop from cutting the last branch under me just in time. There are very few branches left, I have to stretch quite a bit to reach them. I barely manage to climb down without falling.

© Copyright 2001 RatDog (UN: cyam_01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RatDog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/131484-Northern-California