*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/133198-Hang-Glider
by RatDog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #274453
A Journal of my adventures in the world I inhabit while I'm asleep.
#133198 added November 14, 2001 at 2:36am
Restrictions: None
Hang Glider
I buy a second-hand hang glider that this guy has advertised in the paper. The frame is in good shape, but the nylon fabric is torn in a couple of places. I talk him down on the price, get it pretty cheap. I patch it up with pieces of blue tarp, and load it into the back of my old pickup.

I’m driving on the freeway headed out of town. A friend of mine told me there is a huge field next to a lake out this way that is great for hang gliding. There are tow planes that will take you up for a reasonable price. I spot a sign next to an off ramp: “Tow Planes: 35 Cents”. This must be the place.

I park my truck at the edge of the field and assemble the glider. I carry it out to where the planes are. I pay the pilot with change from my pocket, strap into my glider, and clip the towrope to the frame.

The plane starts taxiing. I run a few steps and I’m airborne. The tow plane takes me up; circling over the field, then leveling out at about 2,000 feet. I pull the release pin and I’m flying free.

I glide out over the lake, enjoying the view. I dive to gain some speed, then swoop back over the field, looking for a thermal. I catch one and spiral up slowly, gaining back lost altitude. The air is calm; it’s a bright sunny day, just perfect for gliding. I’m really enjoying this, just being in the moment, such a peaceful state of mind.

© Copyright 2001 RatDog (UN: cyam_01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RatDog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/133198-Hang-Glider